Hey guys.....I need help with my first PIG ROAST!

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I did a search but didn't find much. Some guys and I are going to roast a 100lb pig next weekend and I thought I'd ask for some tips. We aquired a LARGE grill. It's a 55 gallon barrel cut in half and made into a smoker/roaster. I have a large ammount of apple wood and 6 20lb bags of charcoal.
About how long is it going to take us to roast this beast and is 120lbs of fuel going to be enough or too much. Anyone ever done this before?? THANKS as always! /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

You have plenty of fuel. way more than you will need. I can't give advice on cooking a pig on a 55 gallon drum without seeing the drum and the pig. I'm betting the drum isn't big enough and it will be a little difficult. I would suggest getting some cement blocks and stacking them about 3 high in a square. Then put some iron bars across the pit. Lay the pig on the bars and shovel some coals under each quarter of the pig. Then cover. Check the coals every hour or so and cook till done.

100 pound hog laid out is going to be close to 5' long. That will fill a 55 gal drum to over flowing.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back