Here's a weird fun thing

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So, as many know I have this Kubota diesel tractor. Which I've gone through and done a nice "working restoration" on. IOW it's "sharp" and very nice, but not so over done all you want to do is look at it and wash it. It still has to earn it's keep. Whether it's mowing, clearing leaves, aerating, spreading dry or liquid chemical, etc.
One thing I had on my old Honda was missing on Big Orange. A way of reliably setting a ground speed for application purposes and then once found being able to duplicate it. On the Honda, it was easy to install a tachometer (had an ignition system). Not easy on a diesel. Though a simple way is to use pulses from a field coil in the alternator. Thanks to the little pocket oscilloscope I found, I was able to easily determine this. Then I was able to run wiring and so on to obtain a meter and a working tach.
But, also nice (for information sake) to have an oil pressure gauge. It has "idiot" lights for temp and pressure, but as many know (especially a diesel motor) with it's higher internal stresses is VERY susceptible to any loss of oil pressure and all the idiot light is going to do is tell you to break out the wallet, the engine is toast.
So I also have a really good mechanical oil pressure gauge I wanted to install. (smaller 2.5" AutoMeter mechanical gauge). So, I got the oil sender removed (no small feat as it's an oddball size as will note later). Now simply fit a fitting into the port, run the capillary tubing and connect to the meter. Ahh, here comes the fun stuff.
This is a Japanese product, engine made in Japan. So, I'm figuring "metric all the way". Well, nope. The sending switch? 15/16" could not find anything close on metrics. And of course did not fit a standardized sending switch socket.
But now the fun part. You'd figure, the threaded portion would likely be M10x1 metric pipe thread or at the very worst case 1/8" NPT. But nope. it's 1/8" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread!
Pretty darn nuts IMO

On a diesel if you have a crankshaft dampener you can use an optical tachometer. Just an old school thought.
I used the optical to calibrate the electronic one. And I ensured that from idle to at least 2500, they agreed. In my garage once you start running that motor above 2k it makes a pretty loud racket between the exhaust and just the sound of a diesel. I guess I should have put on my shoote's ears but. I figured if from idle to 2500 everything agreed, why wouldn't it all the to governed top?

So, as many know I have this Kubota diesel tractor. Which I've gone through and done a nice "working restoration" on. IOW it's "sharp" and very nice, but not so over done all you want to do is look at it and wash it. It still has to earn it's keep. Whether it's mowing, clearing leaves, aerating, spreading dry or liquid chemical, etc.
One thing I had on my old Honda was missing on Big Orange. A way of reliably setting a ground speed for application purposes and then once found being able to duplicate it. On the Honda, it was easy to install a tachometer (had an ignition system). Not easy on a diesel. Though a simple way is to use pulses from a field coil in the alternator. Thanks to the little pocket oscilloscope I found, I was able to easily determine this. Then I was able to run wiring and so on to obtain a meter and a working tach.
But, also nice (for information sake) to have an oil pressure gauge. It has "idiot" lights for temp and pressure, but as many know (especially a diesel motor) with it's higher internal stresses is VERY susceptible to any loss of oil pressure and all the idiot light is going to do is tell you to break out the wallet, the engine is toast.
So I also have a really good mechanical oil pressure gauge I wanted to install. (smaller 2.5" AutoMeter mechanical gauge). So, I got the oil sender removed (no small feat as it's an oddball size as will note later). Now simply fit a fitting into the port, run the capillary tubing and connect to the meter. Ahh, here comes the fun stuff.
This is a Japanese product, engine made in Japan. So, I'm figuring "metric all the way". Well, nope. The sending switch? 15/16" could not find anything close on metrics. And of course did not fit a standardized sending switch socket.
But now the fun part. You'd figure, the threaded portion would likely be M10x1 metric pipe thread or at the very worst case 1/8" NPT. But nope. it's 1/8" BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread!
Pretty darn nuts IMO
Lots of Espresso machines are made in Europe and they use BSP threads on piping, portafilter, etc

Lots of Espresso machines are made in Europe and they use BSP threads on piping, portafilter, etc
I could see that in Europe. But, Japanese threw me for a loop. Especially since when I installed an oil pressure gauge on my Honda it was M10x1 pipe fitting. Anyway here is a couple shots of the work. Not 100% finished with the oil pressure gauge install though. Not really totally happy with it.
Sorry about the tach being blurry. A 3cyl diesel is not very smooth when idling :D

20240626_123205.jpg20240626_123215[1].jpg

On my '99 Ram diesel, the oil pressure test ports (on top of the filter base,) were an exact match for grease pump hoses. Made it pretty easy to isolate the sensor from engine vibrations.

Back