Here is the recipe for a rub I have used for couple of years -- Suggestions?

Richard F

TVWBB Member
This is a very nice rub and very well received. It is low-carb which is a must for me. But with a new season of cooking starting this weekend, I would be open to hear any suggestions, ridicule, agreement, whatever it takes to be a better cook. Thanks.

BASIC NC RUB --> just my name for it because I live in NC

3 Cups Paprika (Spanish)
1/4 C Kosher Salt
1/2 C black pepper
1 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar Splenda
6 T garlic granules
1 T garlic powder
6 T oregano
6 T yellow mustard
6 T dark chili powder
6 T minced onion
1 T Cayenne to taste

Should be enough for 5 butts – makes 7 Cups of Rub

Richard, looks like you have all the main ingredients in there that are comonly used. I am a diabetic and am not impressed with brown Splenda ,however as a low carb ingredient. I find that the amount of sugar used over the entire meat is minimal, at least in my preps and go 100% with turbinado for it's higher heat tollerance. I am not sure that the mustard holds up under heat and without mixing it in fluid may not be adding the flavor you think it is. Bottom line, if you like it, use it.

Mark

The only comment that I would have is that if your on a low carb diet because of diabetes then I would be careful of the Splenda. If not then it looks good.

Paul,

It is Mustard Powder, sorry. I just cut-and-pasted my recipe and never noticed how it might be read.

Richard

Richard,

My comments are not original, rather only what I have picked up from this forum, and they only reflect my personal prefernces. Starting at the top:

Paprika - I don't use, as it's been pointed out many times it is used more as a fill in rubs. The flavor doesn't really hold up well under heat and the purpose of a rub is flavor.

Salt - leave it out completely IMO. Salt your meat first, let the salt extract moisture from the meat (10-20 mins) then add rub. This way more rub can be added for additional flavor without spiking the salt content.

Garlic granules and powder? Why not all granulated garlic?

Yellow mustard; much like paprika - doesn't impart any real flavor. Needs water or another liquid to bring it to life so to speak.

Chili powder: try substituting specific ground chilies for specific flavors. Ancho (very mild), guajillo (more complex than Ancho but still not a lot of heat), Arbol (higher in heat like cayenne but with a touch more flavor). Many chili powders can sit on store shelves for a long time. Drying and or grinding your own chilies ensures a fresher product.

Minced onion: try granulated onion; holds up well under heat.

Cayenne: see note above on chili powder.

What do you use this rub on? You can tweak it to a specific meat or veggie with additional dried herbs/spices.

That's my 2 cents, but as Mark writes; if it works for you that's what counts. I like to experiment. Rarely are my rubs ever the same.

Paul

Originally posted by Paul K:
Richard,

My comments are not original, rather only what I have picked up from this forum, and they only reflect my personal prefernces. Starting at the top:

Paprika - I don't use, as it's been pointed out many times it is used more as a fill in rubs. The flavor doesn't really hold up well under heat and the purpose of a rub is flavor.

Salt - leave it out completely IMO. Salt your meat first, let the salt extract moisture from the meat (10-20 mins) then add rub. This way more rub can be added for additional flavor without spiking the salt content.

Garlic granules and powder? Why not all granulated garlic?

Yellow mustard; much like paprika - doesn't impart any real flavor. Needs water or another liquid to bring it to life so to speak.

Chili powder: try substituting specific ground chilies for specific flavors. Ancho (very mild), guajillo (more complex than Ancho but still not a lot of heat), Arbol (higher in heat like cayenne but with a touch more flavor). Many chili powders can sit on store shelves for a long time. Drying and or grinding your own chilies ensures a fresher product.

Minced onion: try granulated onion; holds up well under heat.

Cayenne: see note above on chili powder.

What do you use this rub on? You can tweak it to a specific meat or veggie with additional dried herbs/spices.

That's my 2 cents, but as Mark writes; if it works for you that's what counts. I like to experiment. Rarely are my rubs ever the same.

Paul
I completely agree. I am mixing a small batch of rub today and those were my exact thoughts. I also try and keep rubs simple, with mainly the strong flavored ingredients.

Richard, I like your recipe. I used a rub without sugar on my pork butt and ribs and they turned out fantastic.

Wow, love the response and I am going to adjust some immediately and see how it goes. I use this rub on Pork Butts and it has been positively received.

I don't know what I am going to do with a bunch of Yellow Mustard powder I own, but I have a question. What do I replace the Paprika with on the rub? Anything in its stead or just leave it out.

Richard, I stopped using Paprika due to the bitter after taste I felt it left. I subbed ground Ancho pepper and the rub has turned out great. I've even gone to a milder ground pepper called Aji Panca. Haven't used it yet on rubs but it tastes pretty good. Oh, keep the mustard powder in your recipe.

I'm with paul on the paprika - switch it to a chile with flavor, or a blend of two or more - but not the mustard. Mustard doesn't add anything but bulk. If you have a lot you can make your own prepared mustard.

I am going to say this again, I love this board. I really appreciate the help.

On the cook I did today, I cut the Paprika, but the wife insisted I keep the mustard. She claims it makes a difference and if it doesn't I don't care she is happy.
I pre-salted the butts and 30 minutes later put on Worcestershire Sauce and then added the rub. I didn't put the Worcestershire Sauce in the recipe, but I always use it.
I will order some chili stuff off Penzey's and try to bring up the quality on the next cook. Will also drop the Paprika on the next cook. Baby steps ...

More gold than yellow, something you could replace the mustard with would be coriander. It works well with chile and is common to many Q rubs. Another thing to consider would be to split the oregano into thirds and sub a different herb for each of two thirds, so it would be 2 T oregano, 2 T sage, 2 T thyme, perhaps.

Sure, baby steps...

With 3 c of chile and a hefty amount of sugar, no, 6 T would not be too much. Give it a try and see what you think.

OK, you lost me there.

I drop the Paprika and replace it with 3 Cups of Chili? I am only using 6 T now. I've never used anywhere near that amount of chili.

Sorry, I apologize if this seems like I haven't been paying attention but I probably need some clarification on what I missed.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Richard F:
OK, you lost me there.

I drop the Paprika and replace it with 3 Cups of Chili? I am only using 6 T now. I've never used anywhere near that amount of chili.
3 cups of chile. You already have 3 cups of chile in it. Paprika is a type of chile. We're suggesting changing one type of chile, paprika, for another, like ancho - or a blend of two or more peppers, like ancho-guajillo or something like that.

I have just ordered a pound of "Ancho Chili Peppers" ground am looking for it. Will do large cook in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for all the changes and will post back on this thread how it works out.

Penzeys also spells it Chili, the above was a cut-and-paste from site. Hope it is same stuff.

Richard

Back