Help

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Can someone read my log under the title My First Labor of Love and tell me what I'm doing wrong. It has been 12 hrs and I'm at 158 Meat temp. Thanks.

Jeff-

If your grate and meat temps are accurate, you're not doing anything wrong. You've got a couple of 7-pounders there which will take in the neighborhood of 10.5-17 hours to cook. If you didn't check your therms before the cook, definitely do it before your next one.

Pork butts are forgiving, so you could bump the temps up to 260 or so to move it along. Also, if you have any doubt about your therms, check the meat by feel. If it jiggles and wants to fall apart, or the bone can be twisted, it's ready. Otherwise, sit back, ice another six-pack and ride it out. The end result is worth the wait!!

Oh, and I didn't read your log too closely, so don't know if this is your first attempt at PP? If so, you may not have experience first-hand the "plateau" (you might have read about it.) This usually occurs in the mid-160s or so (meat temp) and can last for hours. The temp will stall here while the collagen and fats break down inside the meat. Once that process is complete, your temps will begin climbing again, and you should reach 198-200 in a couple hours or so.

HTH,
Rich (wishin he had some PP to look forward to for dinner.)

Thanks Rich. I'll ride it out. I checked the therms last night on my 2 Polder Probes. One was off by 4 degrees and the other was off by 1.

Nothing is wrong at 12 hours and still at 158 degrees. With 14 pounds of meat, I would expect a 17-18 hour cook. I've never been able to hit the advertised 1.5 hours/pound. My butts average 2.5 hours per pound. I did a 6.5 pound butt last night. It went on at 9pm last night and came off just shy of 2pm today. It stayed in the temp plateau (where temps stall and may even drop) from 7am until about 1pm. Its resting now in a cooler until dinner.

I've been there, getting up a 4am to fire things up. Once you gain confidence in yourself and the WSM, overnight butt cooks are the only way to go. Never plan on having the meat done at dinner time. Plan on having it done several hours before and resting comfortably in a dry cooler wrapped in foil and spare towels until dinner. Far less stress.

I'm having problems getting my grate temps higher. I'm at 221 with the vents fully opened. Is too much ash chocking the air flow?

I noticed that you added 40 new coals, but the grate temp actually went down on your next check. Were those unlit coals? I can't imagine the cooker temp not going up substantially if they were lit. If they were unlit, you may want to fire up 15 or so in a starter chimney & add them with tongs through the access door.

They were unlit. I can't get the coals above 221, so I'm going to light 40.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back