Help with year

Kendall Cook

TVWBB Super Fan
This kettle has a wood two rivet handle, that makes it after '63. It has "patent pending" on the vent, don't know which patent, and it has metal wheels. When were the metal wheels replaced with plastic? Any help from those more knowledgeable would be appreciated.
IMAG0093.jpg

IMAG0094.jpg

IMAG00921.jpg

I would guess late 60's early 70's. The metal wheels seem to have switched in the early 70's. I think the pat. pend. started in the late 60's. Does it have the thumbscrews on the legs?

Brian

Can't tell about the thumb screws, it had wire through holes on the leg sockets, don't know if it originally was for thumb screws or if someone just drilled it out. Patent number: 3538906
Filing date: Nov 22, 1968
Issue date: Nov 10, 1970
Don't know if that is the patent that was pending or not

Well I guess it's from between 1968 and 70 then if that's when the patent was pending. Can you tell if the holes in the leg sockets have a thread in them? Could you screw in a 1/4 20 thumbscrew? Or any 1/4 20 screw for that matter?

Brian

These holes are smaller than you describe, in reading that patent information it seems to be a patent for the leg support so I would assume that this is when they made the change from the thumbscrew.

The "patent pending" puts it at least between 1969-1970. The full plastic wheels didn't come until around 1976-77.

I dont think thats correct C Hill. I have an original 22" avacado with just "patent pending" on the vent. It has a steel side handle, and has the original plastic wheels with the thin white wall.

On your avacado, does it have the current style plastic wheels or does it have the plastic treads with metal rims? The wheels seem to have gone through several transitions before finally settling with the modern style.

The half plastic with rubber tread came in between the metal and full plastic for a short time. I would call it a 63-64 if I was to guess because Weber probably switched to the half and half when they ran out of metal ones and still had rubber tread remaining. When the plastic became cheaper to produce they also realized they could do away with the rubber treads.

Originally posted by Shaun R:
The half plastic with rubber tread came in between the metal and full plastic for a short time. I would call it a 63-64 if I was to guess because Weber probably switched to the half and half when they ran out of metal ones and still had rubber tread remaining. When the plastic became cheaper to produce they also realized they could do away with the rubber treads.

The original leg/wheel kit on my red 18.5 has metal rims, metal hub caps, but rubber treads. It also has thumb screws. I upgraded it to a NIB 2003 OTS leg kit and the thumbscrews fit like a glove! As for the wheels, I didn't know that the earliest plastic wheels were made to look like the metal ones. So at least in the early to mid 1970s, that's what Weber appeared to have used. It must have been between 1975-77 that Weber switched to the modern style plastic wheels available on OTS's today.

Originally posted by Jeff Kolodziejski:
They are not the current style, nor does it have metal rims. Its all plastic, with the small thin white wall on it.

avacadoweber001.jpg

Thats a sweet looking kettle looks like you went back in time and bought one, it looks so new and clean! I guess those are the wheels I have mistaken for being metal with the current style tread. Of all the "appliance" colors, two-tone avacado and two-tone brownies are my favorites. I'm suprised that Weber didnt have a true Harvest Gold kettle instead of bright yellow in the 70s. Then they would have hit all three of the most popular appliance colors of the era.

Back