Help with vintage Bar-B-Q Kettle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Stuart S:
I thought this thing was a beauty before you cleaned it up, great job! I'm so envious, that is one good looking kettle. Do you mind if I ask what you paid for it?

It came with the house I bought last year, so you could say I inherited it.

Originally posted by W Ender:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stuart S:
I thought this thing was a beauty before you cleaned it up, great job! I'm so envious, that is one good looking kettle. Do you mind if I ask what you paid for it?

It came with the house I bought last year, so you could say I inherited it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ahh, I thought you bought it because you said at the top of your post that you got it recently at an estate sale.

Just a suggestion: those wheels look a lot like the ones used on Radio Flyer wagons, and some scooters, back in the 50's and 60's. I wouldn't be surprised if Weber used an "off the shelf" wheel, rather than having wheels custom made for the grill. You may be able to find replacements by looking for old wagons, scooters, etc. at thrift stores. Failing that, you might be able to retread the wheels using something like a section from an automotive serpentine belt of the correct width. Those belts are grooved on one side, and look a lot like the original tread.

I was just thinking maybe Chris A. could ask hi friend that owns the catalog to tell us the names of all of the Webers in it since it isn't legible in the PDF. I would be interested to know what yours was called. It remindes me of a sunrise.
icon_cool.gif

Thanks for all the comments and tips on cleaning my vintage kettle!

Having learned all this, my only regret is that I will feel guilty every time I use it!

Thats pretty awesome looking! The introduction of the wood handle for the lid only can be narrowed down to about 1963-64. I have seen (and wish I could own) trade literature on here and on other sites showing the metal handles in '62 but wood for '63 definatly in place by 1965 when the Ranger was introduced. The metal bowl handles would remain on the kettles until 1980 (B date). Weber went all wood for 1981 (C date). At that time ('62-'63) Weber moved from Wood Dale, IL. to Arlington Heights. Back to your grill, I'm in the "keep it original" camp. It would be cool if you could get a hold of the old school twist style ash pan. (pre 1979 version) Congrats!

Steel wool is not the most brutal rust removal tool, to underexaggerate..
If this was my grill, I's give the original wheels a mild blast of sand, but that may be because I have access to compressed air as well the rest of the equipment needed.
I'd water sand the rods with let's say 600 grit paper, soaked for at least 12 hours. Soaking time is important!
A thin layer of some kind of rust stopping and preserving oil, after some polishing with the same grit after sand blasting, and the originals will be as good as new for many years with some maintenance.

Link to a very good preserving oil: http://www.deksolje.com/

Originally posted by Geir Widar:
Steel wool is not the most brutal rust removal tool, to underexaggerate..
If this was my grill, I's give the original wheels a mild blast of sand, but that may be because I have access to compressed air as well the rest of the equipment needed.
I'd water sand the rods with let's say 600 grit paper, soaked for at least 12 hours. Soaking time is important!
A thin layer of some kind of rust stopping and preserving oil, after some polishing with the same grit after sand blasting, and the originals will be as good as new for many years with some maintenance.

Link to a very good preserving oil: http://www.deksolje.com/
Geir, I never took the time to take a closer look at this old post of yours. Your suggestins are great and I am going to give them a try on an oldie I have. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back