Help with Tri-Tip

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello, new member here.

I got my WSM two weeks ago and did some ribs last weekend with the help of this web site.

Thanks to everyone they turned out great!

This weekend I have a party planned and need to do up some tri tips (4) to be exact.
My question is should I rub or not.
Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks again!

Yes! Rub!

But then again, I put rub on my ice cream, so I wouldn't be the guy to ask...

As for cooking tri-tip on the WSM, I have never done that. I have had smoked tri-tip at contests and such and it is delicious.

As for me, I prefer to grill mine on the weber kettle. give it a good rub, sear it directly over the heat, then move it off to the side until it hits 125 internal. Take if off the heat and tent it in foil. Let it rest 10 minutes before slicing. Amazing every time.

And for dessert, have some ice cream with rub on it. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Try McCormick's Montreal Steak seasoning on one of them. Give it a moderate but even sprinkle-- it does have salt in it-- on both sides, and seal it up in a ziplock bag the night before.

Rub it with a rub with no sugar (coarsely cracked black pepper, garlic salt, a little paprika) and cook it like chicken - at a higher heat.

I use rub on tri-tip: S&P,garlic,paprika, and some ground chipotle. I usually cook on the top rack w/o a water pan, and a good hot fire
I remove at about rare/medium rare. They have a great crust, and are very juicy and tender.
Gotta go, getting hungry. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks for the info.

I think I'll rub with Pappys & let set overnight.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim N.:
[qb] I use rub on tri-tip: S&P,garlic,paprika, and some ground chipotle. I usually cook on the top rack w/o a water pan, and a good hot fire
I remove at about rare/medium rare. They have a great crust, and are very juicy and tender.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So you're not getting a sear on it, though, Jim? How thick of a fat cap. Around here, they trim all the goods off...not like I used to get in CA...back in Sacramento, tri tips were easy to come by. Local store (Raley's/Bel Air) would have a big ol' grill set up outside loaded with 'em. Out here, nada. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Yeah, on this one I'd go with the Kettle. I like to go heavy on the rub, whatever you choose. I don't think you can beat the searing on the kettle.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>So you're not getting a sear on it, though, Jim? How thick of a fat cap. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Not quite like searing it on the kettle first, no.
But on a hot day, with the WSM in the sun, the upper grill temp can easily run 450 to 500+ degrees. The exterior still gets nicely caramelized. The thickness of the fat cap varies, but they're usually pretty substantial. I sometimes trim them down a bit.
The roasts are often done in 30-45 minutes, and I've never had one dry out.
Not a truly traditional method, but it works for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
[qb]The thickness of the fat cap varies, but they're usually pretty substantial. I sometimes trim them down a bit. The roasts are often done in 30-45 minutes, and I've never had one dry out.
Not a truly traditional method, but it works for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The ones we see down here are usually very well trimmed already, much like those brisket flats we all wish had a little fat left on them...

Yeah, unfortunately I'm all too familiar with those trimmed flats. The only good use I've found for them is to rub 'em down with Tender Quick, let 'em cure, and smoke 'em for pastrami.
Real brisket seems to be a foreign concept here.
Sometimes I can find a full packer cut at Costco, but it's hit and miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back