Help with my menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Babek

TVWBB Pro
Im having 8 people, my brother firefighters, over this saturday to help burn a huge pile of brush in my yard and wanted to serve up some great Q. So far Ive had the best luck with pork butt and want to go with that. Maybe some kielbasa as well. The question is how much for some big appitites? At least 4 of us will be eating alot and I definately want too much instead of too little. Also, how long for the kielbasa? Thanks again guys & gals.

If your doing butts, always do 2 on the top grate since it takes a long time to cook. You will surely have great leftovers for you and your buddy's to take home with.
You should also take advantage of the bottom grate with your next favorite bbq like brisket since it takes a while also.
I have done sausage and kielbasa on the wsm for an hour or so and it makes a great appetizer while the rest of the Q cooks.

Jim...

Go nuts! I would plan on 1 lb. per person. That means 8 lbs. of finished meat. That equates to 16 lbs. of raw meat. 2 butts should do you well.

Cook the butts on top and I would then fill the bottom grate with your kielbasa. Let those butts keep the sausage basted.

Not sure on the kielbasa....I am assuming they are already cooked? If so, then they just need some re-heating so an hour or 2 should do. If raw, then more like 4-5 hrs. It is really hard to overcook sausage, so I wouldn't sweat the timing too much. Just make sure the meat gets to about 150-160?.

If you have space on the bottom rack, why not throw in a pot of beans to slow cook for a few hours while the butts cook? Since I guess it's possible to have too much pork fat, tent the pot loosely with foil to allow the smoke to flow over the beans while letting most of the drippings roll off.

I use an old enamal roasting pan for this task. Its dimensions almost perfectly match the curvature of the Bullet.

Sausages are a great idea for snacking on. Put them in a pan of beer and onions and let them simmer away if you're concerned about them overcooking and drying out while you're busy doing other things.

Sounds like a great plan. Enjoy!

I'm not sure I like the idea of uncooked pork dripping onto food right before I eat it. If you wouldn't suck on a pork butt after it having been cooked only 1 hour ... then don't put a raw one above food you intend to eat in 1 hour.

I'd put whatever I plan to eat first on top to avoid cross contamination.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Flynn:
[qb] I'm not sure I like the idea of uncooked pork dripping onto food right before I eat it. If you wouldn't suck on a pork butt after it having been cooked only 1 hour ... then don't put a raw one above food you intend to eat in 1 hour.

I'd put whatever I plan to eat first on top to avoid cross contamination. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I doubt he would be putting the sausages on until the butts had been cooking for 12 hours or more. It sounded like he wanted to serve the sausage & pulled pork for the same meal, which would mean adding the sausages pretty late in the cook.

Thanks for all the tips...I got 17 lbs worth of butt, bought the cryovac and they promise its two butts in there and not one. With two 8+ pounders Im planning on starting about 7pm tonight and running it through till somewhere around noon tomorrow, foil and put into the cooler till were ready to eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back