Help with my Butt

I am doing my first whole butt this weekend.

What do you recommend:

a) brine and rub

b) inject and rub

c) rub only

Thanks. Appreciate your help.

First time only go with a rub. Its nice and easy and you have fewer variables to worry about.

Personally, would never brine, always rub, and consider injection. However, first time? Rub and cook and you shall forever be a happy camper!

All you need is rub! No need to baste/mob/turn either. Get that cooker up to temp and leave 'er be until a skewer runs through like butter! You'll be fine. Anything else is just cause you want to, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Might want to think about a finishing sauce to mix in during the pulling process, but that's about it.

Good luck!

It's great to see so many opinions here!

I just rub throw em on the cooker, fat side up (Cause thats the way I've always done it). Let em do there thing for about 15 hrs (give er take depending on size) Till their done.

One word of advise, if I may, don't get to hung up on internal temps... Keep an eye on em, but let the meat tell ya when its done.

Most important tho is to have fun... This ain't life or death stuff here (although some of us think it might be
icon_wink.gif
). I'm sure it will come out just fine! Relax and have fun!

Please let us know how ya make out.

Patrick, I did my second overnight butt this past weekend. First one I used a very traditional rub with no injection. This past weekend, I injected with Apple juice, white vinegar and worc sauce. I couldnt tell any benefit from the injection, but I could tell a difference from the rub. I used some suggested spices from K Krugers rub creations. Look those up and I think you will really be able to tell a difference.

Back