Help with Genesis II LX S240 kind of a Unicorn.

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Hello all. I was very excited to finally have the opportunity to play with an LX240. Now I am not nearly as excited. So from what I can tell after tinkering with this grill for a short hour or so....The knobs commonly break because they are the light up knobs with thin walled receivers. This knob also is part of the ignition system on this grill which is a turn and click. So the issues that I am having with this grill are the following.
1. Both knobs are broken at the valve receiver. I assume the knobs break on this model because sometimes the valve gets a little hung up or people forget they have to push and turn.
2. I have an additional wire underneath that is green and I dont know where it goes but it comes off the back of the ( knob light button ). Oddly enough on the back of this ( knob light button ) there are two posts and both posts carry a double green wire. One goes back to the big flashlight battery container and the other is not connected to anything nor can I find a spot to connect it.
3. The (knob light button ) works but sporadically I need to disassemble the pressed rubber boot somehow to remove corrosion.
4. The ignition via twisting the burner knobs does not work. Although one worked once....which was odd. I see these white cubes on each burner knob shaft or valve shaft....and I assume their job is to spark when the knob is twisted. I also assume that these are common failure points and that I need new ones. Please tell me I am wrong.

All of these issues are a great example of how if you add a bunch of silly electronic gadgets to something that is outdoors in the weather year round these items are sure to fail. Heck that wasnt even a good example...... How about this, my old kitchen appliances with very few gadgets lasted 15 years and were still working when I replaced them. The new kitchen appliances that I have now will most likely have failures within 3 years. Will send pics in the next post

Ha! Ya it was supposed to be a fun project. I am sure I can just buy 2 new knobs.....2 new white starter cube things.....and a new knob light button. But thats not what we do here......we fix things here :) But we prefer to work on tried and true simple technology. Here are some pics of the beast.

Attachments

• 20241018_200331.jpg
    20241018_200331.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20241018_200440.jpg
    20241018_200440.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20241018_200415.jpg
    20241018_200415.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20241018_200407.jpg
    20241018_200407.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 20241018_200349.jpg
    20241018_200349.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 10
Let me go get a pic. Basically same as a normal knob but translucent and has a rubber cone around it. I am thinking if I can get a regular knob to work I will forgo the lighted knob scenario. The knobs cost about $30 for just a 2 pack.

A regular Genesis knob will fit and work....it will just not look as cool. Here is what the lighted knobs look like.

Attachments

• 20241018_215350.jpg
    20241018_215350.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20241018_215353.jpg
    20241018_215353.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 6
I have owned dozens of gas Webers and currently have about 20 on hand and of the newer ones these are by far my favorite. If you need any help with any of it I still have a couple. I sold my 440 but I still have my 340 and 240 LX grills.

Looks like you are on the East Coast otherwise I would most certainly offer to buy it off you.

They're a bit rare Weber only made these high-end two burner for a short period of time

Also my friend @Gregory Pinch just did a beautiful restoration on one

Yes ....help me understand where both sets of green wires that come off of the back of the knob light button go please. Also is there anyway to fix the auto igniter via knob twist....is this fixed by replacing the starter box with the battery or is the issue most commonly the white starter on the valve bodies?

Yes ....help me understand where both sets of green wires that come off of the back of the knob light button go please. Also is there anyway to fix the auto igniter via knob twist....is this fixed by replacing the starter box with the battery or is the issue most commonly the white starter on the valve bodies?
It's pouring down rain right now but I will definitely get up inside mine and take some pictures this weekend. I've never had these issues that you are having with the multiple LX grills I've owned.

I will be happy to help you as much as I possibly can

Jim, do they make knock off versions of those knobs? I could see why there isn't an aftermarket ignition kit for that grill unless there's one for a three burner grill you can adapt. Hopefully Josh can help you get it sorted out.

Yes they make aftermarket knobs, but they aren't that much cheaper and they get poor reviews. I don't mind just using regular knobs if I could just get these funky starters to work properly. I just haven't tinkered with these auto start knobs before so I don't know if there is an actual fix or if its just a replacement only kind of thing. Its a beast of a grill, I can definitely see why Josh likes them.

I think my friend Greg has extra knobs. Also his restored 240lx is in his living room so maybe he could check some wires for you since mine is in the rain.

Last edited:
I have that exact same grill. Tomorrow, in the light, I can go out and check out the wiring a bit. When I picked up the grill for $25, it had issues with the ingiters and lights. Batteries fixed some of the issues, but disconnected wires were another issue.

I will try to trace the green wires for you at least.

Cool.....ya I will be out in the garage tomorrow for round 2 with this beast. I am wondering if I can use a standard Gen II ignitor button ( in place of ) the ( knob light button ) its just a two post button I am sure it does the same thing.

Back