HELP WITH FIRST TIME JERKEY

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to attempt some jerkey on my WSM.I need advice on the best way to keep the temp. down.I've read where jerkey should be dried around 150-175* range.I'm concerned about being able to keep it down that low.My WSM only has been used a couple times and I've had to keep the bottom vents just open slightly to stay at 225*.My guess is to go really light on Kingsford,but how light is a question.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Bob

Hi Bob!

I place a single layer of UNLIT briqs in the fire ring. I then start about 10 lit ones and spread them over the unlit ones.

Be sure the water pan does not contain any water. You will still need it in there to deflect the heat, just don't use any water. I have started using sand(thanks to DB) and it works great.

I also use smaller chunks of wood. Usually thin branches from our oak trees. Watch the smoke output as the meat will absorb it very quickly. Take good notes.

Start to control your temps as they are rising...letting them get too hot makes if very difficult to lower. If the temp is still rising with all the bottom vents closed, I have had to partially close the top vent at times to control....my WSM is slightly leaky from all the traveling it does.

Good Luck to you, Bob!

Get some stainless chicken wire, make a cylinder about 10 inches around and as tall as you can get it so it fits under the water pan. Split a cherry log so it is about an inch in diameter. Stand the log upright in the cylinder and pour unlit briquetts around it. This makes a tall skinnier fire ring than the one in the bullet. Toss lit charcoal on top. It should maintain a low temp, just like the minion.

Dave Brewer --

I believe you meant to make that stainless wire cylinder
some 10 inches in diameter, not 10" around, right? 10"
around would be like 3" across.

As to the unlit charcoal in the smaller ring; fill it up how
high? How many coals do you light to place on top of
the unlit ones?

Thanks for any additional info. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Walt,
Leave enough room at the top for half of a chimney of lit coals.
You are right, 10 inch diameter. Thanks.

"I'm not a smart man...but I know what rub is"
db Gump

Dave --

You've got an ingenious idea with the "Mini-Minion Method".

Sorry Jim, had to do it !

Anyway, this sounds like a great idea that would be pretty
simple to do. Did you fashion the cylinder yourself or have
it made up?

Chris -- with the way you just spit out dimensions, do you know
the height from bottom of charcoal pan to bottom of water pan?
Seems like might be around 6"?

Walt,
Thanks.
Right now I just roll up the chicken wire myself.
I'm going to use some expanded metal eventually.
I'm thinking of making a couple of different sizes of inserts depending on how hot I want to cook. Maybe I can just leave all the vents wide open and use a different size insert to regulate the temp.
I've also built a stand that the wsm is bolted to.
It puts the top of the cooker at eye level so I don't have to bend over to mess with the fire.
I'll see ifi can find a picture of it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Walt Travers:
[qb]Chris -- with the way you just spit out dimensions, do you know the height from bottom of charcoal pan to bottom of water pan?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The distance from the charcoal grate to the bottom of the water pan is about 10-1/4". The distance from the bottom of the charcoal bowl to the charcoal grate is about 4-1/2".

Dimensionally yours,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back