Help with Final Beef Arm Roast Temp.....

Mike Williams

TVWBB Member
Does anyone have a suggestion as to what temp a Beef Arm Roast should be cooked to? I have seen recommendations for 150 to 200 - but that is a pretty big range.

I was thinking going to 160 then wrap in foil and finish to 185.

Any thoughts or comments would be welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

150 is too low for most cuts from the chuck. Go with your plan but don't necessarily pull it at 185. Open the foil and give it a poke with a fork and see how it feels. If you're looking for a pot roast texture (arm roasts are often used for pot roasts) you may want it to cook longer; if so, re-wrap. If you'd like it to boe tender but not quite pot roast-like then shoot for a tender feel with your fork, but no more.

A friend of mine at work wants me to help him get rid of a couple beef arm roasts. He wants me to smoke them and then slice and bag them to be used as lunch meat. I told him I'd look into it and see what I could find out. I didnt find much info so I guess I have to ask.

First off, is this cut of meat worth using as lunch meat or not. If it is, what temp should it be cooked to in order for it to be easily sliced after cooling? I would like to figure this out for myself as well, as I enjoy making my own turkey and pork loin lunch meat, having some roast beef would be a nice change. Thanks in advance.

Brandon

Correcting myself above, there are roasts from the chuck that can be cooked to low internals but they are those with good marbling, like chuck eye and top blade. It's not that arm roasts can't be cooked this way but, imo, they end up chewy.

Back