Help with Big Company BBQ

So glad that everything worked out for you. I was checking this thread all day.

Congrats.

And I will still be checking this thread so I can see pictures.

Way to pull it off Elmo. It would have been easy to let it all get to you and just say "later".
Nice that you you hung in there. Both thumbs up.
icon_smile.gif

Congrats on your success Elmo. That sounds like a lot of work (and stress) and it sounds as if you were able to overcome a lot of obstacles. Like the tee-shirt says, "When life hands you scurvy, make lemonade".

The only two bits of post BBQ advice I can offer are:

If there is any way to team-up with a co-worker that you like and can rely on as your partner, you should try and do that. Having someone you like and can work with can turn Team Elmo into a formidable BBQ team. It HAS to work better than having a conscript.

It sounds like you work with a bunch of people who are comfortable with finding fault with all the little things that invariably happen during events like this. If you can, agree with them. "Yeah, the beef was overdone. If I'd had some chafing dishes, I would have been able to keep my burgers warm and would have done them first". "Yeah, it got a little crowded when we were cutting the appitizers. If I had had some better knives it would not have taken so long".

Good jobs all around guys. Kevin, you remain da man.

Ron

Thanks guys
icon_smile.gif

A paid Friday off would be next for next month BBQ, I will ask but will doubt i will get it lol

So any explanation on how the strip loin roast got done so fast while smoker ran 250 to 275F? I still dont understand that. I was thinking maybe my WSM is magical and cooks way faster than everyone's else lol

elmo

This has been waaaaaay more educational and more entertaining than BBQ pitmasters. Elmo, after seeing what you pulled off here, I won't be intimidated at all by a big family gathering or neighborhood BBQ. Thanks for sharing your experience and drawing out a lot of great advice from the graybeards here. Don't think you're the only one learning from this. This *is* the power of the internet at work. Awesome !!

Way to go elmo! I really like how you stayed calm and on task when there was so much adversity around. If it was somebody else, this might have been a total disaster. You really are to be commended for your effort. Thanks for letting the TVWBB nation know how things turned out.

Peter

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elmo:
Thanks guys
icon_smile.gif

A paid Friday off would be next for next month BBQ, I will ask but will doubt i will get it lol

So any explanation on how the strip loin roast got done so fast while smoker ran 250 to 275F? I still dont understand that. I was thinking maybe my WSM is magical and cooks way faster than everyone's else lol

elmo </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think its a combo of things. The room temp meat, no water pan, disregard of the meat therm. But I'm no expert. Read more on this thread.

2009 WSM therm is so Wrong?!?

Back