Help with a Christmas BOB

John Wheeler

TVWBB Pro
Doing a bob for Xmas. I'm good with the shoulders but definitely greener on the brisket side. I also have to time my cook around a half day at work on Tuesday. Any time windows I should be aware of? I don't want to be up all night Tuesday. Any hints or tips would be great. Thanks

Hi John,

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, what is a BOB? If it's a full brisket, backward plan to include 1 hr of rest time for meat. The usual method is pan & foiled wrapped meat covered with towels in an ice chest. This is also a great way to hold meat prior to serving. Cook the meat to 190-195F int temp then test for tenderness using a fork or probe, end int temp is usually 200-205F. Protect the WSM from wind. If you are short on time, you can consider panning/foiling the meat at 170-180 and finish off in a 350 oven.

I usually cook low (230-260) & slow. I've done high heat (300-350) brisket successfully. There are plenty of members who use high heat and can provide more info.

I hope this helps. Good luck. :)

Butts over brisket=bob. If I was at my cooker the whole time it wouldn't be an issue, but I have to cook around sleep and a work shift. It's almost going to be a cook of faith if you will. The beginning of the cook is most forgiving so I might just start early am and be home for the rest. Thanks

Acronyms flow freely on this site and the is no standardization. Perhaps we should all spell out acronyms in our posts for clarity. Please Spell Out Acronyms (PSOA), then I can freely use PSOA in the rest of my post and be understood. ;)

-rog

I'm doing something similar.

Good news, butts and briskets both are happy at 250F. If you shoot for a top grate temp around 250F, you'll probably have both meats done in about 12 hours.

If you want them for lunch on Wednesday, fire the pit around 7-8pm on Tuesday. If you're having them for dinner, fire the pit just before you go to bed. Be ready to check meats on Wednesday morning when you get up, and expect to be busy poking that brisket throughout the morning. When the meats are done, foil them and chuck them in that cooler then get back to the fun stuff. They'll be hot and ready when it's time to eat.

Use the minion method with as much charcoal as you can fit piled up in your charcoal ring. Use Kingsford Competition if you can get it locally, it'll give you a good consistent burn and significantly less ash than KBB, which means your fire won't choke itself halfway through.

My cook is going to be a little more challenging, I'm doing a couple butts and a couple turkey breasts. I'll be putting the butts on in the evening, then putting the turkeys on first thing in the morning. Both need to be done around lunch time, and I know the turkeys take about 4 hours.

Back