Help with a beef tenderloin question!

Brian Corey

TVWBB Member
Hello all!

I've read all the tutorials and the major posts concerning beef tenderloin grilling...

One thing not covered...

I've trimmed the loin, tied it up, wrapped it in plastic wrap.

When I grill it on Friday, I am going to wrap it in bacon. Should I season the loin before I wrap it in bacon? Should I season it after I wrap it in bacon? Should i do a little of both?

What do you think?

Thank you all!

I don't think I've ever done a whole tenderloin (I've done filets though). That being said (sorry Lampe), I'd season the meat then wrap in bacon. Bacon is pretty "seasoned" already...beef tenderloin tends to be very tender but sort of lacking in flavor (the reason you wrap in bacon). I'd guess that if you seasoned after wrapping in bacon, the bacon would prevent the seasoning from getting to the meat... Again, I've never cooked one so I could be full of it, but you asked for an opinion.
icon_wink.gif

Whatever you do let us know how it turns out...Pics would be nice too.

Good luck!

I too have always sliced up a tenderloin into filets.

If I were to do one whole, I'd certainly season the loin but, since I'd only be using salt & pepper, I doubt I'd season the bacon.

If I were using other seasonings, I'd give the bacon a dash or two.

Personally, I would season it well and not wrap with bacon. Rub with a bit of evoo, season with salt, pepper, and some ground up dried morel mushrooms. Grill to your taste. Yummy.
Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Personally, I would season it well and not wrap with bacon. Rub with a bit of evoo, season with salt, pepper, and some ground up dried morel mushrooms. Grill to your taste. Yummy.
Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

+1.

I don't know how you like your meat, but I eat filet really rare, sometime purple. Bacon won't have a chance to fully cook if you cook it to rare or medium rare (please don't take a tendeloin past medium rare) unless you par cook it.

If you do decide to bacon wrap it, season it first. Wrap it in a basketweave of bacon. Better presentation with a basketweave.

I have done this many times. A tenderloin is a very dense piece of meat. Heavily salt and pepper your tenderloin and let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Bacon does not add a lot of flavor, but it keeps the tenderloin moist. Sear direct on high heat on all sides, then slow cook indirect to the desired finish. I like mine rare and it comes off at about 90-95 degrees F. Cover with foil and let it rest for about 10 minutes before carving.

As a point of interest, I have also tried indirect cook first, then a finish sear, but because there is so little fat on a tenderloin, I could find no advantage to this approach. This latter approach works quite well on fatty meats because the indirect cook renders the fat and helps control flare-ups during the sear.

Bill

Hi Brian - Just read your thread about grilling a tenderloin - Take a look at Lomo Al Tropo. It is a dynamite cook and so easy to do. I've done it several times and if you go to Bob Corrells posts he has a thread for the "How-to's" on You Tube. It's a fun cook that you do directly (no grate) on two chimneys of briquettes and your friends and family will be amazed. Total cook time is 17 minutes and believe me its worth looking into. After 17 minutes you will end up with a perfect Med/Rare. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am going to wrap it in bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm with Ray. I wouldn't wrap it either.

A little smokewood will give you smoky notes. A good rub will give you good flavor.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I am going to wrap it in bacon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm with Ray. I wouldn't wrap it either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dunno...that bacon-wrapped loin that Chris cooked looks pretty darn good!
icon_smile.gif

Barret

Until it's sliced it looks fine. After that, not so much. (With all due respect to Chris.) Bacon also prevents caramelization of the exterior of the roast - the thing for flavor development.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Until it's sliced it looks fine. After that, not so much. (With all due respect to Chris.) Bacon also prevents caramelization of the exterior of the roast - the thing for flavor development. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree. That was the first (and only) time I've wrapped the tenderloin in bacon. It was one of things where your thinking about what you want to cook and you say, "Hey! Lets give that a try."

I hear that,

Other than ABTs I wrap virtually nothing in bacon. And I love bacon. If I want the flavor - say, for scallops, shrimp, filets, and other things often wrapped - I'll add it to or make the sauce based on it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bacon also prevents caramelization of the exterior of the roast - the thing for flavor development. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

my thoughts exactly. When I do a roast I try to maximize my exterior, its about the only thing that will keep your protein interesting (unless you're saucing).

Well i often wrap my chicken filé in bacon (B/S)

A beef tenderloin i would pass the wrap.

Dont get me wrong Chris i would love to try that bacon rolled loin looks delish.

But then again i think a grilled chicken breast gets abit boring so i often stuff it with something and then the bacon fits its purpose in more then 1 way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by barret:
I'm with Ray. I wouldn't wrap it either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I dunno...that bacon-wrapped loin that Chris cooked looks pretty darn good!
icon_smile.gif

Barret </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think one of each is in order here. One wrapped and one not. They both sound really REALLY good.

Back