Help w/Brown Sugar Rub Salmon

Because my meat consumption has gone thru the roof since getting my WSM, I thought I would try some fish.

The salmon recipe on this site looked good, so that is the plan. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I couldn't follow the recipe exactly, I'm wondering if I need to adjust the procedure; Thanks in advance for your help!

1. Could not get King or Sockeye, so I'm doing Coho.

2. Smaller fish=smaller fillet. I've got about a 1.75 lb. piece; a little less than half a fish I would think. I'm wondering about how much less time this should smoke.

3. Should it be wrapped while covered in the rub?

4. Using dark brown sugar and ground savory; what impact should I expect?

5. I've got some apple, cherry, alder and hickory. Dare I mix some up or just stick to alder?

Thanks!

Chris

1. Could not get King or Sockeye, so I'm doing Coho.
No problem.

2. Smaller fish=smaller fillet. I've got about a 1.75 lb. piece; a little less than half a fish I would think. I'm wondering about how much less time this should smoke.
Depends on your temp and your desired degree of 'moistness'. Some prefer a firmer/dryer snack-style salmon. Just check it periodically; when you can flake it with a fork - it's done.

3. Should it be wrapped while covered in the rub?
No.

4. Using dark brown sugar and ground savory; what impact should I expect?
Never tried that combo. Perhaps a little 'herby'; should be fine.

5. I've got some apple, cherry, alder and hickory. Dare I mix some up or just stick to alder?
Stick with pure alder. Fish picks up smoke very easily.

Guys,

Thanks for the assist. The fish just went on the fire. I decided to go with 3 small chunks alder, 2 cherry and one apple. Smaller chunks than I usually would use.

The fish came out of the 'fridge looking great after I washed it, and dried beautifully.

Temps are all over the map tonight due to wind, so we'll see how this goes; my first fish on the WSM so I'm looking forward to see how it turns out 45-90 min. from now.

Thanks; Chris

Aloha Chris... Just joined this forum a couple of days ago and saw your question. I am only 7 months late!
I make a very simple rub of 3 Tablespoons of sea salt, 2 Tablespoon of brown sugar and a teaspoon of powdered ginger. And of course you can change the proportions to suit your taste.
We live just north of Seattle and been using this "3 rub" for at least 20 years.

good luck...

Back