Help-tough conditions

I'm cooking my first butts tonight for dinner tomorrow. Each one was abut 7.5 lbs before being trimmed. I'm planning on getting started this evening around 7-8:00, hoping to serve tomorrow around 6:00 PM. I'm planning on cooking using Kingsford and the Minion method. I was figuring that I would be ready pull the butts sometime tomorrow afternoon, wrap them and hold them in a cooler until ready serve.

The problem is that we have following current weather conditions: 39 degrees, rain and winds 15-25 mph (gotta love MN). Anyway, assuming that we aren't getting in drastic changes in the weather today (it's supposed to stay this way until Sunday).

Given these conditons, are there any changes I should make? Will i need a longer cook? Or more charcoal lit in the chimney? I don't have a wind shield, but I'm going to try and be creative about where I place the WSM to keep out of the wind as much as possible. Anything else I should do?

Any advice appreciated.

Bill

Bill--

Focus on the wind shield--big time. That'll be the key. You might need a few more lit in the beginning but the big deal is the shield--keeping wind out of the vents.

You may need to refuel if the wind is bad. Don't worry about it, you should be fine until the morning.

The wind just sucks. But if you can get a good wind break, or at least keep the vent(s) facing the wind closed, it'll work out fine.

If I were you I would run to Home Depot, Lowes, or where ever and get the materials to make a wind screen. It will make a huge difference, and you won't have to try and hide the cooker somewhere around the house. I've done brisket and PB in below zero temps with 30+ mph winds. Without that wind screen it would have been impossible.

Kirk's right. Take a couple of hours and make yourself a screen. I use mine almost all the time now. I even have a piece of osb board I put on top incase of rain

I went to Home Depot and got a piece of board (think it was OSB as paul h mentions), had them make 3 cuts which gave me 4 equal size pieces. Bought a total of 4 hinges. 2 for the back left corner and 2 for the back right. I also use the leftover piece as a "roof" if it is raining. Best $10 or so I ever spent.

I am starting three butts each weighing 7.5 lbs this evening also. I was planing on firing the WSM at about 9:00 and butts on at 10:00 hitting the hay at 12:00 with temps at 225-230. I live in Chicago and we should be around 40 most of the night and that same dam storm system that you will be dealing with will affect me also. I am hoping to serve at around 6:00PM Sat. I am glad you started this thread it has helped me also. Good Luck on your cook!

Bill

I echo what the others say above about the wind screen. Mine is some old plywood I found and the hinges I took off of an old wooden shed I was dismantling. Even had enough plywood left over for a roof.

I use it windy days and on calm days. It just removes one more variable in the cooking process. On windy days, it's invaluable as the wind tends to ramp your temps UP because it "fans the fire" in the WSM. I've found that ambient temperature really make no difference in controlling the temp of the wsm. Of course, it rarely gets below 40 degrees where I live so I guess that may play a part too. However, I've used the wsm on 55 degree days vs. 105 degree days and found little difference.

Thanks for the advice. I tried doing a search for windscreens and got a zillion hits but nothing on point. Can anyone point me to a simple set of plans. Keep in mind I'm the least handy person you have ever met (in other words, talk slow and use small words!).

Thanks,
Bill

Bill, the way I did mine was to get the longest piece of treated lumber I could get and cut it in thirds. I got a 1 x 2 and cut it the same width as the screen.I needed 4 pieces.Screw these on the inside of your panels. Two on each of the outside edges of your back piece and one on each of the inside edges of your side pieces. Get four hinges and screw two of the hinges into one of the 1 x 2 on the back piece and the other 1 x 2 on the side piece. DO the same on the other side. DO MAKE SURE they swing the way you want.I initially installed the hinges backwards. This whole set up should fold up into itself. I put handles on the outside of mine so I could carry it. The problem I found was I wanted treated lumber and the only thing I found was 1/2". The darn thing weighs a ton. If you can find 3/8 all the better.

Bill,
Here's a picture of mine. No laughing at it
icon_smile.gif

On rainy days, I put the 4th piece I got from the sheet over the top. I also have velcro on my 3 Nu-Temps so I can just attach them to the boards as well

How about using a water heater blanket for your WSM?

I have a smoking jacket for my WSM with the guru. MY second WSM has a water heater blanket until I can put the bucks together for the jacket & guru.

Todd mine is almost exactly like yours. The difference being I cut my back panel 3 of 4 inches shorter and sloped the sides to it. I put a piece of ply on top. I am going to put some shingles on it when I get time. I had hinges on the sides but after the wind knocked it down a couple of times they pulled out. I just use 2x2's in the corners now. When I am not smokin I put the smoker up to the house and put the shed over it. Blends right in.

You can also use a metal trash can, cut out the bottom and a rectangular hole in the side so you can get to the door of the WSM. They are light weight and the lid can be put on cocked so it will vent smoke and keep rain or smow off the cooker. The cost of the can is about the same or less than plywood.
Jim

Back