HELP this is my 1st Weber, $1000 - is this a good deal?

Sunil Punjabi

Been eying Weber grills for a few months. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Genisis II S-435 new for $1100 when I can across a used Summit S-670 for $1000. Is this a good deal?
As per the seller...
  • The unit is 4 years old, has been covered and in the shade all the time.
  • Everything is working, the side burner is burning yellow and needs to be lit with a lighter (easy fix I'm told)
  • Comes with rotisserie and IR burner, propane tank, cover, and weber tools.
See the pictures for the condition. Is this worth $1000, or should I stick with the S-435?
Please let me know, I don't want to let this get away if it's a good deal.

Thanks in advance,

Sunil
SunilSide Burner.jpgWeber Tools.jpgUnder Drip Tray.jpgInside Cabenit.jpgCabenit.jpgSS Grates.jpgRotisserie.jpgCover.jpgGrill.jpg

Been eying Weber grills for a few months. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Genisis II S-435 new for $1100 when I can across a used Summit S-670 for $1000. Is this a good deal?
As per the seller...
  • The unit is 4 years old, has been covered and in the shade all the time.
  • Everything is working, the side burner is burning yellow and needs to be lit with a lighter (easy fix I'm told)
  • Comes with rotisserie and IR burner, propane tank, cover, and weber tools.
See the pictures for the condition. Is this worth $1000, or should I stick with the S-435?
Please let me know, I don't want to let this get away if it's a good deal.

Thanks in advance,

Sunil
SunilView attachment 8318View attachment 8319View attachment 8320View attachment 8321View attachment 8322View attachment 8323View attachment 8324View attachment 8325View attachment 8326
Hi Sunil, The Summit has nice features but is too much risk at that price. You can't guarantee that the warranty from Weber would cover you. It is a complex grill with expensive parts

Sadly Summits are rust buckets. Very expensive to repair and maintain. They're nice to use but I would not spend $1000 for something with basically no warranty that rusts out as bad as these do

I know I am a naysayer about these current generation Summits. That one does look to be in extra nice condition. Still, the rust-through issues, the monstrous size, weight and complexity (as already noted) are just too much for me - especially for $1,000. I would go with the Genesis II-S-435.

I personally prefer a porcelain hood over that stainless one that will never clean up easily. And, I would WAY rather have an open cart. So, unless you absolutely must have a very large grill, I would choose this one among the new Genesis II offerings:

Thanks Jon. I was under the impression that the E with porcelain grates are not as long lasting as SS.
Is there a porcelain model with SS grates? If it's only the grates are the only difference besides color, I'm not opposed to buying SS grates later.

What are your thoughts?

I know I am a naysayer about these current generation Summits. That one does look to be in extra nice condition. Still, the rust-through issues, the monstrous size, weight and complexity (as already noted) are just too much for me - especially for $1,000. I would go with the Genesis II-S-435.

I personally prefer a porcelain hood over that stainless one that will never clean up easily. And, I would WAY rather have an open cart. So, unless you absolutely must have a very large grill, I would choose this one among the new Genesis II offerings:

Warranties are only good for whoever registers the grill. If it was never registered, it could work out for you.

Edit just to say that I don't necessarily condone this, just have heard it works sometimes. Also if nothing else you will have access to all the manuals, etc. for the grill.

Thanks Jon. I was under the impression that the E with porcelain grates are not as long lasting as SS.
Is there a porcelain model with SS grates? If it's only the grates are the only difference besides color, I'm not opposed to buying SS grates later.
What are your thoughts?

Sunil, Yes! Sorry about that mistake. I meant to post THIS ONE - the "Special Edition version" which has really nice 9mm stainless rod grates and even a handle light:

That is a great grill but as others have said just say no to that kind due to the rust issues in the cabinet. It may look good now but give it time and rust will start to develop in the cabinet and without reg. care it'll just rust through (the cabinet). It's a shame that Weber skimped out on that area, I mean even the new Genesis II grills are starting to show signs of rust this early on as I've seen a couple of them already.

While I'm not a fan of those, it looks like it's in great shape. I wonder if it would be worth getting it if there was a way to prevent or delay the rust. Maybe paint with POR15 now while it's still in good shape?
Gerry

Weber-Genesis-II-SE-330-Gas-Grill-Crimson-Propane-4.jpg

Heavy duty 9mm stainless steel grates, sear burner, side burner and grill light. And now it’s on sale.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/...RODUCT&srule=Price+-+Descending&start=1&sz=99

It's not cabinet rust that bothers me on those Summits. It's the firebox rusting away. The cabinet issues are easy to prevent with a little attention. But the firebox is not. The design and materials doom it before you even light it

Thanks everyone for your advice and help. I passed on the Summit and got an S-335 at Home Depot. Great deal $850, brand new. It’s time to break her in, 4th of July BBQ!

Attachments

• C1A136E5-DBD7-4AE8-A1D0-A6FC6BA6E434.jpeg
    C1A136E5-DBD7-4AE8-A1D0-A6FC6BA6E434.jpeg
    154.8 KB · Views: 13
  • EE7AAC20-E917-4124-A4DB-0FF7E78F4F6E.jpeg
    EE7AAC20-E917-4124-A4DB-0FF7E78F4F6E.jpeg
    148 KB · Views: 13

Back