Help spend my money!..need some grilling, kitchen accessories.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was meaning to ask what brand of cast iron I should look at. Also, what sort of cast iron pans/bakeware should I get?

ron

Hi Ron, I would recommend Chicago metallic half sheet pans from King Arthur Flour as they are commercial quality and are sturdy enough to handle large amounts of meat. I can also recommend All-Clad stainless cookware(Emeril ware cookware is made by All-Clad) as well as Lodge cast iron. Though pricey, I could not live without my LeCreuset 7qt. round cooker. This thing does it all. Staub is another maker of high quality porcelain covered cast iron worth a look. As for knives, I like Global but for everyday BBQ I use stamped knives made by either Forschner(Victorinox) or Friedr. Dick. These are easy to keep an edge on. As another said, Do Not buy sets of high quality cookware, just what you know you will use.

Again, thanks for all the great advice. I will be picking up Alton Brown's book for sure.

Since most agree to just buy what you need instead of a 'set', which pieces do you think I should look at? It just seems that most people own the pieces that are in a 'set', so why not just get the set? As I've just gotten really into cooking in the past few years, I'm not sure what I need/don't need cuz all I know is the T-fal 'set' I've been using. Soooo...when it comes to pots/pans, which pieces could all of you NOT live without??

ron

I have 8-, 12-, 16-, 20-, and 24-qt stockpots with a pasta insert for the 8-qt; two 12-inch sauté pans, two 10-inch, and an 8; two sauciérs (2 and 3.5 qts) plus a Calphalon non-stick saucier; a Calphalon 5-qt flat sauté; three saucepots (1.5-, 2-, 2.5-qt) and two 10-inch Calphalon non-stick omelette pans. I could not live without any of these.
icon_eek.gif

I have 10- and 13-inch cast iron fry pans and a two--burner cast iron griddle that would be hard to part with. They're from Lodge.

Chris asked about why I like Viking. They have great transfer (7-ply construction, the 5 interior plies are an aluminum-stainless steel alloy), great handles (a must), and good weight and balance. If you sauté by flipping the pan this is important. I like their brushed exteriors better than the polished exteriors of other brands. I don't like All-Clad's handles and their heat transfer, while very good, is not quite as good as Viking's. Viking's line is not available as a set, as far as I know, and their stuff is eye-poppingly expensive but oh well, whaddayagonnado...

Unenameled cast iron can't handle acids and are heavy (try flipping a 12-inch sauté all evening!) but Le Creuset's enameled covered casseroles would be hard to do without.

Like Mike Parrish, I'd recommend Chicago Metallic's sheet pans. Hard to have too many of those. I also like Nordicware bake pans.

One more thing: It would be hard to give up my immersion blender and its attachments. Sauces and salad dressings--I use it all the time.

My two cents. Apologies for the lack of brevity.
icon_smile.gif

One last piece of advice on a knife. Forget the brand and price. Find one that feels good in your hand. You can spend a fortune on a good knife, but if you don't like it, you might as well save your money.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron F:
We'll, I've been mullin' it over for quite some time now. There are some things I need for cookin' and it's time to bite the 'Bullet', so to speak
icon_smile.gif
. Not all of it has to do with Q'n, but I figure since most on this forum like to cook, whether it's Q'ed or on the stove or in the oven, I can get sound advice...so here goes.

1. Hot food handling gloves. Been needing these for awhile now. What kind and where can I get them?

2. Big sheet pans. They have the non-stick type everywhere, but aren't the stainless ones a little nicer? I'd like these for when I am doing large cuts of meat. Right now I don't have much of anything to put meat on while I'm getting it ready. Did 4 pork butts a few months back and what a pain! Again, what type should I buy and where?

3. I've been meaning to invest in some nice cookware. All I have now is some older nonstick T-fal stuff, and thats it. Any reccommendations? I think stainless is the way to go but not sure. I've just started to really get into cooking in the last 3 years or so(can ya tell?). So many company's out there, how is one stainless pan better than another? What makes Calphalon so much better(or is it?). I saw some stainless cookware by JCpenny I was thinking of getting. Its on sale right now for 1/2 price($100). It's stainless with what looks like a copper bottom. Glass lids. Have only seen the ad in the paper.

I know I can go almost anywhere and get these items, but I'm interested in hearing from those who have experience under their belts
icon_biggrin.gif
. Like whats overpriced and not worth the money or hearing about a product someone has been extremely happy with. While I'm at it, if anyone wants to throw in their $.02 about anything else I 'can't live without', whether it's for the WSM or the kitchen, please feel free....

Ok I'm adding to the list..I need some good knives. Let's hear it...

Thank you all,

Ron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, so many questions.

1. I picked up a pair of blue silicone cooking gloves at Costco a few weeks ago. You can handle hot foods and pick up meat off the barbeque with them without burning your hands. They don't absorb grease and can be washed in a dishwasher. I think they cost about $12-15.

2. You can find a restaurant supply or a Smart and Final for big sheet pans. Chances are you can get them from any good cooking store or the houseware dept from a quality dept store.

3. Cookware is tough. Good cookware is a must. I like cast iron; it has performance and durability that can't be beat and is dirt cheap compared to other cookware. All-Clad and Metal-Clad are 'clad', stainless steel over an aluminum or copper core. These are great pans but are extremely expensive. Stainless alone is not a particularly good heat conductor, though. If you want stainless, get one that's clad. Anodized Aluminum is also a good cookware material. Whatever you get, make sure it is heavy and has handles riveted on, not screws.

4. Knives. Again, lots of choices. Wusthof makes knives that are among the best in the world, but they are extremely expensive. Henkels has two lines. One of them, the Henkels International, is not as good as the Henkel's Zwilling (sp?). They are expensive, too. In general, you want good guality drop forged knives.

Chicago Cutlery makes good knives for a lot less than those German knives. There's a good value. But the best value (the best performance for the buck) is Forschner knives. These are not forged, but they are about the best stamped knives you will find. And the cost is way less than those forged German knives.

To summarize, if money is no object, All-Clad cookware and Wusthof knives are a great choice. But, if money is a consideration like it is for most of us, Cast Iron cookware and Forschner knives (or Chi Cutlery).

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ron F:
I was meaning to ask what brand of cast iron I should look at. Also, what sort of cast iron pans/bakeware should I get?

ron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lodge cast iron is probably the 'mainstay' brand. You at least want a couple of different size skillets.

WOW! Thanks for all the advice. Good stuff. I will definately be checking out AllClad. Not sure which type to get tho, I went to their website and they have 4 or 5 different 'models'. The models were..MC2, Cop R Chef, Non-stick, LTD, Coppercore and Stainless Steel. What does one do?

I'll be heading to the Home Depot to check out some neoprene gloves. If I can't find them their I will just order from texasbbqrub. I could use them on Sat, cooking two trukeys for mom. I'd like to try that texas rub anyway. Also going to check out Bed, Bath and Beyond. I'd like to check out a restaurant supply store, but cannot find one near me.

Thanks for all the great advice, keep it coming....

Ron <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were going to get all-clad, I would get the aluminum core instead of copper. I think it's cheaper than copper and performance should be about the same.

My mainstay pans would have a stainless surface, not a non-stick coating. Non-stick should mostly be used for eggs and a few other dishes. Non-stick doesn't brown very well. So, for most sauteeing or searing, a sticky surface is better.

So, get a non-stick or two for those few items that non-stick is best suited for, but make sure you get pans with a stainless interior for most of your cooking.

The finish on the exterior of the pan is pretty much cosmetic and is just personal preference. All-Clad has a couple of lines with different appearances. Pick which you like better.

My real recommendation is cast iron, which sears extremely well. But if you have the bucks and want the shiny stainless, All Clad is excellent cookware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
...Viking's line is not available as a set, as far as I know, and their stuff is eye-poppingly expensive but oh well,... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correcting myself: When Viking introduced their line (and for some time thereafter) sets were not available. This is no longer the case. I disagree that one shouldn't consider sets. They are usually the best value and--really--if you take your cooking seriously (I assume you do or you wouldn't have started this thread) is there an item in a set you wouldn't use? that is superfluous? I'm doubtful.

If you're interested, Viking's line can be seen here.

I agree with others that it's best to handle knives before purchasing but that's only possible with widely distributed brands. Try checking out a Global, MAC, Eberhard Schaaf, or Shun at your local kitchen store: not gonna happen. Best to get recommendations, research on line, and buy one or a few from an online retailer with a good return policy. Dice a hard-cooked egg, slice a turkey breast--whatever--and get a good feel for it. I like Global, because, unlike German, French, and American manufacturers' knives, theirs are unbevelled allowing an extremely sharp edge. Worth checking out if you're in the market for new knives.

Do I really need a couple grand in pots and pans to cook? No. I cook for people all over the country, some of whom have kitchens worth more than my entire ranch and one or two who have tiny kitchens with electric stoves
icon_frown.gif
and twenty-year-old K-Mart pans (but I always carry my knives!). I enjoy it, regardless. But I'm at my best and have the most fun when I have superior equipment, which frees me to focus on (and play with) the food and approach.

Well. I'm now looking for a second job
icon_smile.gif

K Kruger, do you cater on the side? or just like to cook? Seems like you got it goin' on.

ron

K Kruger, do you cater on the side? or just like to cook?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I cooked professionally for years. I cook and consult privately here and there. I love to cook (or maybe live to cook.
icon_smile.gif

Hi Ron,

I am a new WSM user - first time was yesterday. However, I do a lot of cooking (I have 2 ranges and 2 ovens, and 2 separate sinks - both with garbage disposers) and will share some info on cookware with you.

First, I do not know what kind of cooktop you have. If you have the smooth glass surfaces, you absolutely must have flat bottomed pans or the heat will not transmit evenly and some pans and pots may take a long time to heat up even to boil water.

U tried some Calphalon and they were not flat so I returned them. I now use a mixture of Circulon Classic (don't go with the chaeper Circulons) and Scanpan. Scanpan is my favorite but my wife thanks the pans are too heavy. As an example, my 14 inch wok is heavy enough to sit on the burner without me touching it while I toss all the food in the wok.

You can get some good buys on e-bay for Circulon. Pay attention to the shipping and handling costs though - some sellers are trying to make a killing here.

As for knives - I have a complete set from Cutco... fantastic knives, guaranteed for life and never need sharpening!

By the way - as another post indicated, you do not want to scratch the Circulon Teflon surfaces so you need to use plastic tools and utensils. My Circulon set is now 1 1/2 years old and has NO scratches.

Good luck to you.

Also - as info - the 2 chickens I smoked yesterday turned out to be superb - even with me struggling to keep the temps below 265 degrees - used too much charcoal - but I'm learning.

Ray

As far as knives, as many have said here, you need to hold them to feel what's comfortable for you. You don't need more than a few. Global, Henckels, Wustof, Forschner, Mundial and Messermeister are all great brands. Prices vary depending on the manufacturer. I couldn't live without my 7" Santokus with rivetted edge. I retired my chef's knives with these. I have two. One for home and one for work. I bought Henckels Four Star as that was most comfortable, but many of the chefs on Food TV use Wustof. I also own Forschner, Wustof and F. Dick knives.

All Clad stainless cookware is superb and highly recommended. I also own Calphalon, Le Creuset and Analon for non stick. I do not own sets, but purchase sizes I need for certain things. A 7" non stick for eggs is a must, as is Le Creuset Dutch ovens, any and all sizes. My work set up is cheapie stuff on the lightweight side, with the exception of my knives, my home set up is my expensive stuff. Many times, I use my client's cookware if they have usable things.

I have never used Viking cookware, but I'm sure it's top of the line. I have seen it in my catalogs. Many chefs now are manufacturing their own lines of cookware and knives. Check out the Chef's Catalog for these. Good luck and have fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back