Help Settle a Bet

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

All:
We accidentally left our smoked pork butt on the kitchen counter overnight. The butt was fully cooked to 190 degrees, wrapped in foil and was under a towel in the cooler until about 6-7 PM. I took it out of the cooler and placed it on the counter still in foil. But we forgot to put it in the fridge overnight. I woke up early the next morning and put it in the fridge.

Is there any danger to eat this pork now? The temperature in the house overnight was around 60 degrees.

All experience would be helpful.

Toss it..pronto!

Though healthy adults may not be affected, kids and old farts will be the first to feel the pain. Once you have experienced said pain, you will abide by the RULE.....

Here is the rule......for ANY meat, no more than 4 hours at temps between 40?-140?.

Since reading this site I have been much, much more aware of food safety. I may not follow all the rules, but I tend to lean toward pitch rather than keep.

We have some friends who I know leave food out longer than recommended. It seems like someone in the family always has "stomach flu". Can't say whether their food safety is the issue, but sure seems likely to me.

What about for pepperoni pizza? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I have for years always put my pizza on top of the microwave in the box. I usually finish it within the next two days. I know this is off topic from the OP but I have always been curious as I hate reheated cold pizza or cold pizza for that matter.

I've never gotten sick from it though.

Toss the butt. (somehow that just doesn't sound right)

We put pizza in the fridge and reheat in the oven. Not the best, but works ok.

Carry it to a neighbor... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

If it makes them sick they will never bother you about cooking for them...if it doesn't make them sick they'll love you for the gift...

Just kidding of course...I would throw it away, or feed it to the dog...

CHEERS!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Howdy...

You dont like dogs, do you ? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I?ve read somewhere that Barbecued meat would be bad for dogs, can anyone lead me to the truth ?
My 2 dogs love the bones from pork butt, and they dont seem to feel bad after eating them.

Thanx for the info,

Don Marco

Hey Peter - Left it on the Counter? I'll bet there was a few empty beer cans next to it, thats when I forget to Fridgerate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesley S:
[qb]I have for years always put my pizza on top of the microwave in the box. I usually finish it within the next two days. I know this is off topic from the OP but I have always been curious as I hate reheated cold pizza or cold pizza for that matter.

I've never gotten sick from it though. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Wow. That's all I have to say.

Toss it, definitely. And Wesley, you must be lucky or have a damn good immune system. Remind me not to eat at your house/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

When i was a child around 3 or 4 years old i used to eat the pizza and crusts that were left in the box on the counter overnight the next morning with never a problem.

I commonly leave left over pizza in a box on the stove top overnight and eat a slice or two the next morning to this very day. Never a problem.

If that pork butt was cooked, then left in the foil on the counter overnight I would surely eat that as long as its brought back up to temp in microwave or crockpot.

Now left out more then the 6 to 12 hours your talking about and more like 3 to 4 days. Then yea, I would pitch that for sure.

Finally, after 5 months, somebody got the pig latin joke.

In all seriousness, though, when observation of food safety guidelines is the issue, there's a difference between what you personally subscribe to and what you recommend to others in a public forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back