Help...sand mass removal....STUCK HARD

I am curious about something and I'm looking for other opinions; why do some folks sand pans turn hard like rock and the sand can't be removed without blasting and mine, for example, has had the same sand in it for about two years and it's still fine.

I do cover the sand with two pieces of HD Alum Foil before each cook and get no leakage into the sand. Is this the reason or is it a heat thing?

I find that anytime I get a leak in the foil, if I don't get that part of the sand out when that cook is over, it'll be hard as a rock soon. I use 2-3 layers also, but have had a leaker here or there.

I had a klinker or two before. I just used an old large screwdriver and chipped at it carefully. It broke apart and came loose.

Reading the posts above reinforces my thoughts about not using sand. I'll just add water when it gets low. Some people swear by it, but it seems that most use water. According to Chris's poll only 24% use sand.

Maybe--just maybe--easy off oven cleaner will work?

The stuff seems to eat through anything except metal. It did a great job eating through my knee skin once when it dripped on there and I didn't know it, until too late. It hurt. A lot.

Then again, for the price of a bottle of easy off you could just buy a Brinkman Charcoal Pan from Bass pro for $4

After I learned from my first mistake, double layer the sand, and then put a third layer on for the cook. Keep changing the third layer every cook and this will not happen again. Make sure you use the wide roll of heavy duty foil that will cover the whole pan in one pass. After I started doing it this way, it is much easier than cleaning the water pan. All you do is change one sheet every cook. A lot easier than cleaning the pan IMO.
To answer the post though, (I forgot to on my first reply lol) I used a screwdriver and hammer. My whole pan wasn't glassed over though, only sections.
The money you save on fuel using sand, you can just buy another pan for the sand/water.

Now on a side note, I did buy another Brinkman charcoal pan to use, (2 actually) I did a Picnic cut for dinner last night using water to refresh my memory on how different the bark was using water vs. sand. I did everything as I would any other time, (spray basting, prep) the water being the only difference. The bark was softer and easier to cut up and mix into the pulled pork than I have been used to using sand. I don't base any opinion on one cook, so will try again to see if I get the same results. This cut did seem to have more fat then usual. I am going to do Spares on Saturday, will see what happens with spares and another Picnic before I make a final call between the two.
So I would have to choose between saving fuel, easier to deal with, or a softer bark that the family liked better mixed in, and a pan to clean, and higher fuel cost.

Might try turning it upside down and smacking the bottom, that might knock it out.

For the life of me I don't know why people thing using water is such a pain in the ***, at least if you use the Brinkman pan. I find even in extended cooks up to and over 18 hours all I need to do is fill it up at the start, then fill it up before I go to bed and that usually lasts the whole cook. Sometimes it doesn't, but it lasts long enough to get a full nights sleep while the WSM is chugging away.

I think someone once mentioned dropping the pan on the lawn to dislodged the sand. I would try tapping the pan with a rubber mallet.

Regards,
Chris

I have always put a layer of foil in the pan prior to filling with sand. When you want to change the sand it comes out very easy.

John

Why bother - just use a drip tray on top and buy another pan for water?
You could try putting it in upside down - my guess is the pan will expand more than the sand - but it is guaranteed to create a worse mess in the charcoal chamber just when you give up!

An update...

Standing in garage, scratching head and wondering how I was gonna get that mess out of my water pan and there on the work bench was a can of mineral spirits. Nothing to loose so poured some along one edge. Softened that mass in just a few minutes and I was able to clean things up in short order. Just kept cleaning a little and resoaking with more mineral spirits.

Back