Help removing the burners and igniter on a Genesis 1

Mike.D

Bought at Genesis 1 and am working on a restore (I'll write a full post up once I finish it off)
KeVOkP4.jpeg

Seems like it's pretty decent condition considering its age.

I've disassembled everything except the igniter and the burners/manifold, but having a bit of trouble.
There seems to be two screws with tabs (or something, not really sure what these are) holding the manifold in. I just can't seem to get them loose and actually broke one of them off 😬so I'll need to drill it out. Any recommendations on removing the other one? There doesn't seem to be a nut on the inside of the firebox.
oYuu0fv.jpeg
lHiYd1U.jpeg

Also, the igniter doesn't work so I'll need to replace it. Screw seems to be rusted so any suggestions on getting it out would be appreciated?

xLqcptP.jpeg

Thanks for any help and really appreciate everything on this forum! I think I'm hooked on these.

Hello Mike, and welcome! That looks like an early Genesis you got there! If you take the control panel off, there should be an ID tag on the underside...be sure to get a picture of it for reference!

Those are called thumbscrews and the one that isn't broken looks pretty corroded. You can try soaking it in penetrating oil and cleaning off the screw threads that are sticking out inside the cookbox with a wire brush. Grab the thumb part with a pliers and gently rock it back and forth to see if you can break it loose...if so, keep rocking it back and forth and apply more penetrant. Sometimes you can coax them out that way, but if not you can also heat up the area around the screw and see if that helps. The early Gennie cookboxes were threaded but later ones were clearance drilled for SS 1/4-20 thumbscrews (or hex head bolts), washers and nuts. Use an anti-sieze (like Never-Seez) when you put it back together.

Same process for that igniter screw...penetrating oil, heat, rock it back and forth to break it loose, try to keep from stripping the head or breaking it, but I think that's an 8-32 screw so you might be doomed. Push comes to shove, you might have to drill and tap (or nut and bolt) at the end of the day. Good luck!

Jeff MA posted a couple of YT videos about penetrating oils in this recent thread:

That happens. First thing with screws like that is G E N T L E! Don't force them. Lots of PBlaster (don't waste money or time with WD40 here). Let it soak a good long while. Once the screw can turn a little put some more PB. Wait, then turn it back clockwise a bit. Turn it counter clockwise a bit. Work it back and forth. Eventually it will come out. Key word EVENTUALLY :D

Yep, these really old Genesis grills bring some funky features that were later dropped in favor of easier (cheaper?) things. I think Larry has given great advice, and if still not doable then you will have to do what Ed says as last resort. Might not be the worst thing to update the manifold holders to the more modern setup with bolts and nuts. Updating the igniter gas holder opening will be another trick.

Very best wishes for good luck on this. Keep us posted. I have several of my own to take on...

This is just me, but I would spray some penetrating oil on them, give them a little time and then they either come out or twist off. Those thumb screws like that will not take much to twist them off. Then either punch them out or drill them out. I know the horror stories on pounding on cast aluminum that has been through repeated heat/cold cycles, but I have punched out over 50 of them and only one time did I crack the cook box. If you properly support the underside, you have a much less chance of anything bad happening.

Bruce, I have a Genesis 3 that is newer than his, and my cookbox is threaded, so punching won't work. Rule of thumb is, if it has a nut on it, it's likely not threaded, but if it doesn't have a nut, it's threaded. If yours has a nut on the thumbscrew inside the cookbox, punch away, but if not, assume it's threaded and drill away if you have to.

Attachments

• Cookbox Thread.png
    Cookbox Thread.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Bruce, I have a Genesis 3 that is newer than his, and my cookbox is threaded, so punching won't work. Rule of thumb is, if it has a nut on it, it's likely not threaded, but if it doesn't have a nut, it's threaded. If yours has a nut on the thumbscrew inside the cookbox, punch away, but if not, assume it's threaded and drill away if you have to.
That's where the drill comes in.

Back