Help removing stripped screws from 2009 Genesis 300

ScottK

Hi All

Newbie here. Had to take the manifold off to replace some tubes and when I did the screw heads holding the manifold to the grill box stripped off so now I need to get the screws out and hoping that some of you folks might be able to offer some suggestions on how best to do that. Also if you know what size screw or bolt to replace it with that would be great.

Thanks,

Scott

Same thing happened to me this weekend. Flanges on screws snapped off in my attempt to unscrew them. Will anxiously await the replies. Thanks. Jim

Drill them out and simply use some 1/4" stainless machine screws or carriage bolts with nuts I fine wing nuts are a great choice

Use any good bit for metal. Remember the screw is hard. You will need to center punch it but BE CAREFUL. I had a cook box shatter on me from simply trying to center punch the screw(s) I wanted to drill out. If you can rig up some kind of support from the back (maybe wedge in a piece of wood block) it might help since the aluminum will not be shocked quite so much. Just know that no matter how careful you are it's a crap shoot

Yes drilling out might be the only solution. Start with a small drill and slowly increase drill size. And not too much pressure. These tiny drill bits like to break. Yes i had it happen. Then you have to start a new hole. You need high quality steel drill bits and spare bits and patience. And cutting oil does help too. Been there and done that. Don’t rush. It may take a long time. And don’t worry if the new hole gets a bit off.

Had it happen to me. Original bolt snapped off and need to drill it’s. Start off with a small bit and don’t go too fast or else the bit breaks. Didn’t have to drill much as some of the old bolt came out

Use any good bit for metal. Remember the screw is hard. You will need to center punch it but BE CAREFUL. I had a cook box shatter on me from simply trying to center punch the screw(s) I wanted to drill out. If you can rig up some kind of support from the back (maybe wedge in a piece of wood block) it might help since the aluminum will not be shocked quite so much. Just know that no matter how careful you are it's a crap shoot
I suggest using an automatic center punch adjusted to a light setting and backing the screw with something like an auto body dolly. Apply the dolly to the back side with good pressure before punching. The backing mass should absorb the impact from the punch and prevent the aluminum from flexing. At least that’s the theory. If no dolly, use the face of a large hammer, like that of a short handle sledge. Still a crap shoot.

These are what you need to get the drill bit going into the bolt.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07CML2DYM/tvwb-20

They won't snap off and walk around like a regular drill bit goes. Once you get the hole started with these, then you can use a drill bit.

But, I can almost always get them out by punching them out like Brad suggests. But, be careful as the cast aluminum is brittle and will crack if you hit it wrong or too hard. I have successfully done this with more than a couple dozen bolts frozen in cook boxes. I have only cracked one.

Yes thanks Bruce. I forgot to mention those. They are indispensable for this work. My tool and die maker buddy turned me on to these things. They sell them at HF as well

for clarification, are you talking the 2 bolts that hold the manifold to the firebox or the three screws the burner tubes sit under on the left side of the firebox?

I believe they 1/4" x 1.25" inches long x 18 thread count. Make sure you get stainless steel.

EDIT: That is the size for the older Genesis Silver B and 1000 cook boxes. I don't know if that is the size on the newer E3xx Genesis grills.

Last edited:

Back