Help Removing Overspray from Red Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Smith

TVWBB Wizard
I performed my annual springtime maintenance check on my 1992 red Performer this afternoon. This involves checking everything and touching up two quarter sized rust spots with high temperature paint. Over the course of the last 12 months, the high temperature grill paint I used last year has faded and bubbled a bit - maybe because I didn't cure it properly when I put it on last year - or maybe because that's as long as it lasts.

I got the spots painted with several coats of Krylon 1200 degree paint but in doing so, I got quite a bit of overspray on the charcoal bowl. Now this really isn't too much of a problem since the bowl is not seen very much, but the paint is not an exact match for the original finish and the color difference caused by the overspray is noticeable if you are looking at the top and bottom together.

Do any of you guys have recommendations for the best way to remove overspray without damaging the porcelain coating on the charcoal bowl?

I've read something about a clay "erazer" that helps remove overspray. I also thought I might could use an auto paint compound, or maybe even some fine steel wool.

Ideas are appreciated and welcome. Ideas borne of real life experience are even better!

Thanks,

Pat

Hey Pat....use "0000" steel wool. If the overspray is pretty thick, try "000" steel wool. This one should be ok, but test a small spot first. Typically the "0000" does the trick. Let me know how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back