Help needed on sms settings for consumer cellular

Larry Naylor

TVWBB Member
Try to set up alarm reporting on HM to cell phone. I have a android with consumer cellular service . I went to the sms notification settings and there is no settings for my provider if i select other it asks for a provider and I've tried a bunch i found on the internet anyone using consumer can you share the settings info? I got the Email working but can't the text to cell phone going

Ok an update the latest from Consumer cellular everything is a-ok on there part and the trouble has to bee within the HM web site. Sooooo any ideas?

If you mean the HeaterMeter SMTP server, then yes, I no longer maintain a free SMTP server that you can use to send emails through. You'll have to use your own SMTP server settings.

The SMS notifications only rely on a valid SMTP server, not anything on any HeaterMeter website.

Does this mean i can no longer get text alarms on my cell phone? I can get an email of the alarm but nothing on my cell. Is there a way to get them be gentle with your answers i'm not a computer person.

Last edited:
If you're getting email notifications, then you should be able to get SMS alerts as well if consumer cellular supports it through an email to SMS gateway, The heatermeter.com servers have nothing to do with that because they're not involved in any way-- it goes directly from the HeaterMeter / Pi to consumer cellular.

I'd say first get it working with your regular email program, sending a message to whatever the consumer cellular email address is. That way you can take HeaterMeter out of the equation entirely. Once you've got that working, and your email alerts are working properly on the HeaterMeter, you can put the two together and have everything working.

You have to figure out who the underlying carrier is for your consumer cellular. Then try to email that from your phone or computer to make sure it works. It should be either att or T-Mobile.

When i send the sms to consumer cellular Which uses att this is the failure message

Fri Aug 7 20:17:55 2020 user.notice lmalarm: Sending SMS to xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx@txi.att.net
Fri Aug 7 20:17:56 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: recipient address xxxxxxxxxx@txi.att.net not accepted by the server
Fri Aug 7 20:17:56 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: server message: 501 5.5.2 RCPT TO syntax error
Fri Aug 7 20:17:56 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: could not send mail (account default from /etc/msmtprc)
Fri Aug 7 20:19:12 2020 user.warn linkmeterd: Alarm 3H started ringing
Fri Aug 7 20:19:12 2020 user.warn linkmeterd: Alarm stopped
Fri Aug 7 20:19:12 2020 user.notice lmalarm: Sending SMS to xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx@mailmymobile.net
Fri Aug 7 20:19:13 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: recipient address xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx@mailmymobile.net not accepted by the server
Fri Aug 7 20:19:13 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: server message: 501 5.5.2 RCPT TO syntax error
Fri Aug 7 20:19:13 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: could not send mail (account default from /etc/msmtprc)

The 2 different @ addresses is the 2 i found for consumer cellular and this is when i send a test sms the xs are my cell number but i'm pretty sure you know that. I'll have to try consumer cellular monday the on line q i was number 73 and 1/2 hour wait on the phone. Guess they figure us old codgers have lots of spare time.

GS when i talked to consumer Cell they gave me the att one but that was unsuccessful. I can email send and receive texts on the cell phone i tried the my mail one because i found it on line

Have you tried sending an email from your email program to that address as I suggested? I mean like open your email software, compose a message to xxxxxx@mailmymobile.net and seeing if you get an SMS? Leave HeaterMeter out of it until you figure out what the address you need to send to is.

Steve the txi was a typo Bryan sorry didn't mention i can send a email to the xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net and it does go through so at least i have the right address. Since it said i had a syntax error (i don't think it liked the xxxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net when i picked consumer as provider and they use att i switch provider back to att and got this

Sat Aug 8 14:28:48 2020 user.notice lmalarm: Sending SMS to xxxxxxxxxx@txt.att.net
Sat Aug 8 14:28:49 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: the server did not accept the mail
Sat Aug 8 14:28:49 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: server message: 550 5.6.0 Invalid header found (see RFC2822 section 3.6)
Sat Aug 8 14:28:49 2020 user.notice lmalarm: sendmail: could not send mail (account default from /etc/msmtprc)

Last edited:
Ok gotcha. Looks like this is may be the bug I've fixed three times and still haven't gotten the changes into git yet. Will take a look at it tomorrow because today is packed.

Try the latest snapshot Pi firmware 20200810 and see if that works or has the same error in the log now. Hopefully it won't say this any more:
Code:
sendmail: server message: 550 5.6.0 Invalid header found (see RFC2822 section 3.6)

Back