Help needed, almost done with resto

Hey Everyone,

Newbie here doing my first resto and need help. First off, thank you to everyone in this forum. If it was not for you all I would have never had the knowledge or confidence to start this project. Also please excuse me if I do not use the correct part name, etc.

So I am restoring a Genesis 3000 and here is where I was at: I was in the process of cleaning up and attaching my manifold and firing up the grill. I was cleaning the last burner valve and in the process of getting it unstuck I bent the bottom and now the piece no longer turns. I thought no big deal (I accumulated 3 X000 genesis grills and have been pulling the best parts of each). So I went to the other manifold that I got off of a previously restored 1000 and it looked the same but did not fit. Here are photos of the piece I am referring to so that we are on the same page:

1631060477909.png

1631060552817.png

1631060683133.png

So on the piece that I broke, I bent the bottom part that sticks out. The photos are of the other piece from the 1000 manifold that does not fit. The problem is that the hole on the bottom is not as deep in the donor piece as the piece that I broke.

The manifold I am using in the restored grill is from a 3000 Genesis that had a blue AFF lid. The serial number starts with L7 but when I called and registered it they told me that it was a Genesis 3000 LX LP Blk which I also thought was odd.

My first idea was to find another donor grill, but since the same piece from my 1000 did not fit I am a little hesitant. So if anyone can point me in the right direction on identifying a donor grill that would be much appreciated.

My second idea was to see if anyone in this forum has a spare one of these laying around and would let me buy it off of them or trade other useful donor parts that I have accumulated.

My third idea is buying a new manifold completely which is the least ideal situation.

Any and all help is appreciated. Just trying to get my third burner going so I can call this project completed haha.

Hey Brian, look at grillparts.com they sell replacement valves that may work on your manifold. I think they suggest reusing your old orifice so dont throw anything away.

Brian, my 1000 valve stems don't look like that either. However, that does look similar to what I recall my side burner valve from my Gold C looked like...... I wonder if Weber switched stem types at some point? I'll take a look at it when I get a sec and see if it looks similar.....

R

...stems from my 1000.....

1631065910344.jpeg

If it were me I would replace the entire valve. From what I understand Weber used valves from a variety of sources so your odds of finding just that one part are pretty small.

If it were me I would replace the entire valve. From what I understand Weber used valves from a variety of sources so your odds of finding just that one part are pretty small.
Yep, Weber used different valves within the same model line. As Ed says, you are better off finding a replacement valve and while any Genesis 1000 valve should work, even if it doesn't match the other two. Or just swap entire manifolds, valves and all, to make it easier and less prone to discrepencies.

Yep, Weber used different valves within the same model line. As Ed says, you are better off finding a replacement valve and while any Genesis 1000 valve should work, even if it doesn't match the other two. Or just swap entire manifolds, valves and all, to make it easier and less prone to discrepencies.
I wondered if you could swap out just one valve if it was different. Thanks Bruce, good to know.

Can you show a photo of just the piece you "bent" label it as such and the exact area you bent? And a photo of what you're trying to replace it with?

Thanks for the help everyone. The idea of replacing the one valve is a good option that I had not thought of. I could see having one different valve and potential slight discrepancies bothering me, even if it does not affect performance. That is interesting and good to know that they used different valves. Also a bit of a bummer.

Sure thing LMichaels. Below are some more pictures. The "would-be donor" is the piece that was previously pictured that does not fit because the hole is not as deep. The "broken" piece is the bent piece that I have been referring to. You can see that I tried to bend it back and now there is a small crack running in it. Additionally, in the process of attempting to fix it I jacked up the hole so now the stainless steel piece (also pictured) does not fit around it nicely like it did originally.

To my eye the only difference between these two pieces is the depth of the hole in the bottom.

1631149507174.png

1631149542341.png

1631149588211.png

1631149635008.png

I see a leaky valve in the making, which you definitely don't want. Mixing and matching is probably not a good idea. Get rid of it and get a replacement. Be safe. You can replace all three valves if it helps you sleep better. :giggle:

Last edited:
I see a leaky valve in the making, which you definitely don't want. Mixing and matching is probably not a good idea. Get rid of it and get a replacement. Be safe. You can replace all three valves if it helps you sleep better. :giggle:
Agreed, replacing individual parts of a twenty plus years old valve almost certainly won't end well.

I agree those valve parts wear into each other over the years and mixing and matching after that is not gonna work out

Sounds like we have reached a consensus. New valve(s) or manifold it is!

Thank you for the help everyone, see you in a week or two when this baby is done!

Hello Everyone,

Thanks again for all the help on this and my apologies for the late follow-up (also apologies I was not great about taking photos of the finished product). I ended up replacing the manifold completely just to be overly safety first. I have been loving my Genesis and can't wait to have it for a full summer. I am still debating what I want to do in the future with the shelves and basket. I am leaning towards going all wood on this redhead and keeping the skyline parts for someday when I can hopefully get my hands on a skyline.

Attachments

• image_50398465.JPG
    image_50398465.JPG
    199.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image_67190529.JPG
    image_67190529.JPG
    178.7 KB · Views: 26
  • image_67178497.JPG
    image_67178497.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 27
  • image_67198977.JPG
    image_67198977.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 28
DanHoo - I used a few donor grills on this. I got most of the frame and the basket from a skyline. Unfortunately the skyline lid had multiple chips and bad weber fade.

Bruce - That is a good idea, I guess it all depends on when I find that skyline haha

Back