Help need to find wood chunks

Tom Stratton

TVWBB Member
I just stopped by a Menards (Minnesota's Home Depot)......picked up Kingsford, and a bag of hickory chunks ......but all they had in cherry, apple, etc were tiny little chips. Any idea on where I can find the bigger fist size pieces? (apple.....) We have Home Depot & Lowes......do either carry it. Looking for something to go with the hickory for a butt I'll be doing this weekend.

Tom, I got most of my fruit wood on line.See if anyone you know has oak firewood. Cut a log or two up. Oak goes real good with hickory. Kinda mellows the smoke out. Great smell and taste

Hi Tom, where are you located in MN? I am in Minnetonka and can get cherry and oak for free.
Perhaps I can get you some.

I went to a "specialty" butcher shop in St Louis and took care of most of my wood needs - but oak chunks I had to get on line.

Keep trying and use your imagination.

Bob Q..........I noticed, in an older post that your oak and cherry comes from a cabinet shop. Do you soak the "kiln dried" lumber? Does it burn too quickly?

Order your chunks from Cabelas they are fist size. Also I belive there were severl post on this subject with links to websites so try a search.

Rick

Tom,

I live in Colorado, but I am sure you can do the same thing in minnesota. Call a couple of companies that do landscaping or tree maintenance nearby. They will likely give you some wood, or they will call you when they have some. It is also likely they will have a huge variety of woods so you can decide what you like best without spending 10 bucks for each one

Rich Langer, I am also from Saint Louis. I live in South Saint Louis City. What "specialty" butcher shop do you use for your BBQ/Grilling shopping?

Tom,

I've been successful finding wood chunks in meat markets, fireplace stores, and outdoor shops where they specialize in lawn and patio furniture. If you have any of those type stores in MN, you might want to give them a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Kuhn:
Rich Langer, I am also from Saint Louis. I live in South Saint Louis City. What "specialty" butcher shop do you use for your BBQ/Grilling shopping? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I go to Baumann's Fine Meats on Manchesster just West of Brentwood, across the street from Schnucks.

I just placed an order from Charlie Chuck's Fruitswoods. They had a nice selection of wood and prices/shipping were reasonable. 12 lb bags for $10.95, 25 lb bag for $15.95. 3 12-lb bags (Apple, Pecan, and Peach) shipped to Florida for $13.67. Haven't received the wood yet, but I have seen a couple of favorable reports on the forum here.

Back