HELP My Prime Rib got to temp way too quick

Billy (GTBilly)

As the title suggests I was smoking a prime rib @ 325ish lid temp according to my maverick thermometer and it got to 121 internal in just over 2 hours. What happened? Why did it get there so quick? I figured on 3.5 hrs at least.

It depends on how much it weighed. I typically use the low and slow method and then reverse sear

Once done, I double foil, wrap in a towel and place it in a cooler for up to 2 hours. I do my reverse sear before serving and it has worked out fine every time

Cooking at your temps. .. I would estimate around 18 min per lb for a roast weighing 6 - 7 lbs if you pull it out at 121 (my oven timing)

Not sure if this will help but ...

That is pretty fast for an 11 pounder. I've done roast half that size at around 325 and it took about 2 hours. Did you have your temp probe as close to the center of the meat as possible? Also, did you check your probe? Sometimes they can give false readings due to damage. I had one that was reading about 50 degrees higher than it should have...had to replace it. Even in the oven, an 11 pounder should take longer than 2 hours to get to 121 internal.

Another oven lesson I learned a while back (and I cannot explain why)is that after a certain size, I had ignore the "per/lb" formula when doing a high heat cook.

Since you caught the temp early, how did it come out when you served it?

You also have to consider the thickness of a piece of meat as well as the weight. A 12lb piece of meat that is 8" thick doesn't take twice as long as a 6lb piece of meat that is 8" thick

I leave my rib roasts on the counter for a couple of hours prior to cooking to bring to room temp, this shortens the cook. Was this the case here?

Also, have you tested the temp gauge that was showing 325? How accurate is it?

Back