Help me decide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy_D

Hi All

I have been an avid griller for many years, and got my first Weber gasser last year.

My significant other decided my old Q was in too rough of shape, and got me my first Weber Genesis.

Even though I've had an interest in cooking for 20 years, I've been completely reinspired, and want to get into charcoal grilling as well.

Here's my dilema; My toy budget will allow me a pretty good range of products, but I haven't been all that happy with Weber customer service.

Initially I was going to get the performer, then I thought I'd settle on a kettle first and make sure I like the charcoal.

Now I am trying to find out why the Weber brand is so much better than the rest.

I've got a pretty much no-name gas-assist charcoal (http://www.masterchefbbqs.com) that looks like a complete knock-off of the performer. It cost about a $100.

At this point it's still in the box and can be returned. But what makes the performer $450 more than this one?

For that matter, what makes the kettle so much more?

Quality. The kettle line has stood the test of time. I know people that have 20 yr old kettles that are still inuse. Yeah they may look the same as othersbut they are not. Companies copy Webere, Its like comparing apples to oranges. Webers customer service is the best. I restored an old performer, half of the parts they did not even charge me for! Try finding some spare parts on these knockoffs 10 years down the road if you shall need it. You can get a performer delivered to your door for $299, check out amazon. Dont go cheap go quality. Its an investment that will last you MANY yers. I am putting an 11lb brisket on my performer today. Get into charcoal..gas is for hot dogs.

I've been grilling on my own now for about 28 years - since I started to college in 1979. Before that, I had been at my dad's elbow since I was big enough to toddle out on the patio. Over those years, I've grilled out at least once a week, every week, year-round (thanks to living in the South) and during the three milder seasons, I grill or smoke food on my smokers two to three times a week. If my scheduled allowed it and my family wouldn't rebel against all of the "man meat" I would grill out every night it wasn't pouring rain.

During those years, I've cooked on any number of cooking contraptions of all sizes, shapes and vintages, both gas and charcoal.

About three years ago, I got rid of everything except the Weber Kettle grill that my kids gave me for Father's day and a Char-Broil Commercial Series gasser (also a gift from the wife and kids). Actually - I didn't have to get rid of much - I had already taken whatever else I had to the curb for the trash and recycling crews since the grills I had been buying would last a year or so and then turn to rust buckets.

I bought another Weber kettle for the lake and a knock off kettle for over flow and started to see how much better the Weber kettle cooked than the knock-off. The metal is much thicker, the grill grates thicker, it holds temperature much better and the enamel coating on the Weber is much more attractive and durable than the painted stell of the knock off.

About the same time, I started to have some issues with the Char-Broil gasser and my neighbor at the lake replaced one of his aging gas grills with a Weber Genesis Sliver. I cooked on the Genesis one night while we were at the lake and I was sold! Char-Broil, to its credit was great to work with and replaced all the aging parts on my Commercial Series under warranty, including four brass burners and the grill certainly is still serviceable but I jumped at the chance to pick up a two year old Genesis Silver B off of Craigslist.

Now, I have two WSM's, the Genesis, a Performer..... well, you get the idea.

The Weber grills are elegant in their simplicity and design, outstanding in their functionality, and, given their durability, an excellent value. My experience with Customer Service - I've called them a LOT as I've repaired and refurbished older Weber grills I've picked up from CL or this forum - has been unparalleled. Only once was a part out of stock - for a 1992 model Performer - and they know their products, are professional and courteous and speak the same language (literally and figuratively) as I do. Add to that, the prices Weber charges for parts and shipping are very reasonable and you've got the recipe for a life-long vendor relationship.

While other grills - particularly those based on Weber's design - are serviceable and will cook your food, nothing I've cooked on comes close to giving me the quality and the consistency I've been able to achieve on my Weber grills.

I'm hooked. If there's something better out there, all things considered, I've yet to find it.

Oh yes - and then there's the WSM - THAT is an R2D2 shaped work of art!

Just my two cents (grills) worth!

Pat

Gary - nobody has to worry about finding parts for knockoffs 10 year from now, because 10 years from now, they will long since have hit the recycle bin and been transformed into something else.
icon_smile.gif

Pat

Originally posted by Pat Smith:
Gary - nobody has to worry about finding parts for knockoffs 10 year from now, because 10 years from now, they will long since have hit the recycle bin and been transformed into something else.
icon_smile.gif

Very True!
icon_cool.gif

having a few years under my belt i would suggest getting a kettle on craigslist if you have the time. if yer gonna get new, maybe get it on amazon through this list so chris can get a few bucks to run this site. i do everyhing i can think of on my kettles with very little trouble and have a hard time justifing anything else. you can buy other webers later but i bet you will never get rid of the kettle. as to weber customer service, if you had a problem it must have been a fluke as they are the best, period.

Andy
To put everything in perspective
Weber CS is genetrally second to none. they have had a few hiccups of late but then again every company has. The good thing about Weber CS is you hardly ever need to use it. they offer long warranties (Limited 25 year warranty) because the product doesn't fail.
I have my original kettle which I purchased in 1983 and have used it regularly since I own 5 Weber BBQs, apart from all the superior features and benefits and the high quality it is also pride of ownership knowing that I own and use the best. I look after my BBQs and that shows in the food I prepare.

Whilst a product of lesser quality may do the job if you are serious about yourpassion/craft then you would consider getting the best you can.

Regards

Thanks for all the input guys

Although I always read about the great customer service and quality of weber, I've been disappointed in my own experiences.

My flavourizer bars are rusty after a couple months of use - one is pretty bad and causes unnecessary flareups because it is no longer smooth. They won't replace it until there is actually a hole
icon_frown.gif

I am unsure about charcoal grilling. I really want to try it, but I'm hesitant to spend the kind of money Weber demands for their product and end up not liking it.

So,, basically the worst that could happen with a knockoff is it only lasts a year. Then again it is only $100 for the gas assist..

I've tried desperately to find used for the past few months, but haven't been able to find a SINGLE charcoal bbq. They are very uncommon in my area.

Its me again - I've been seeing these WSM units you guys are talking about.

I am very interested.

Can the lid be taken off of these for grilling? I'm kind of thinking of a smoker with the ability to sometimes grill, instead of trying to smoke and slow cook with a kettle.

In keeping with a tradition that I see on here alot that I like, tonight's dinner from the grill.

Grilled tbone with asparagus in balsamic vinegrette, garlic french bread and a side of Meditarianian salad with feta cheese. And of course, a couple bottles of wine
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy_D:

I've got a pretty much no-name gas-assist charcoal (http://www.masterchefbbqs.com) that looks like a complete knock-off of the performer. It cost about a $100.

At this point it's still in the box and can be returned. But what makes the performer $450 more than this one?
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A performer can be had for $329 with free shipping and worth every penny. I love mine, one of the best $300 I ever spent
icon_smile.gif

I wish you were right.. but up North here, they are not only expensive, but I can't buy locally.

Sears

For whatever reason, we pay substantially more. Plus shipping - and bring it over the border and duty is a killer.

Andy
I know what you mean about the flavouriser bars, some have a rougher finish and seem to get worse with age. Whilst they may be rough they still serve the purpose for which they are designed - flareups should be minimal - they may need a brushing. I clean mine every 6 months and they are starting to rust at the bottom and have some pitting on the sides. If you put them in the dishwasher after each use they will rust out quickly. (hint)
The SS flavouriser bars are much better.
One or two more calls to Weber CS advising them of your expectations when you purchased the BBQ and what the salesperson said to convince you to purchase may assist your cause.

Regards

I was very careful with the bars - the only cleaning other than heat is from a stainless steele cleaner a friend (restaunteer and chef) - t is an industrial product meant for the exact purpose I wanted.

I can always buy new bars.. but I was just disappointed that they were rusty and not covered under warranty. I got the grill in August, and couldn't use it from december-february (-40 below conditions - unpleasant doesnt' even describe it!).

I think Ill call them again and try to restore my faith in the company.

As someone who sells Webers and can buy any Weber for 10%+cost, I can tell you which one I would get.

In the states the OTG 22.5 retails for less than half of the Performer. The Performer is very nice but if I was to jump into charcoal, I would go with the OTG over the Performer. While the features of the Performer over the OTG are nice, your final experience (how the food taste) won't be different and if on a budget, the OTG is a great value and the way to go IMO.

Referring to my first sentence, I would also go for the OTG personally for a variety of reasons and will be getting another new OTG in a month or two. Not dissing the Performer, just that the OTG will get you to the same final result for a much cheaper price.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy_D:
I was very careful with the bars - the only cleaning other than heat is from a stainless steele cleaner a friend (restaunteer and chef) - t is an industrial product meant for the exact purpose I wanted.

I can always buy new bars.. but I was just disappointed that they were rusty and not covered under warranty. I got the grill in August, and couldn't use it from december-february (-40 below conditions - unpleasant doesnt' even describe it!).

I think Ill call them again and try to restore my faith in the company. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the U.S. the porcelain bars are under warranty for 3 years, stainless for 5 years (or at least they were for the 2008 season, I need to check for the 2009 I guess) so I would check again on the warranty. Rusty is one thing, pitted with holes is another. The flavorizer bars are really designed to stop flare-ups. Until they are pitted with holes, they do their job, even rusted with no holes.

I wish you were right.. but up North here, they are not only expensive, but I can't buy locally.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]=sr_1_7/185-7675641-4942047?ie=UTF8&searsBrand=core&mqnodeid=396557011]Sears

For whatever reason, we pay substantially more. Plus shipping - and bring it over the border and duty is a killer. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I guess I should have paid more attention to your location
icon_rolleyes.gif
Bottom line, you said you can afford it, and its a great grill. If you'd rather try your luck with the masterchef thats your choice. Just dont say we didnt tell you to go for the Weber
icon_wink.gif

My Performer is a 1992 model without the gas assist feature. I picked it up for $50 off of CL and did a light refurbish on it.

If you're looking to make the shift to charcoal, you could go easily for the OTS for $109 (per the Sears link in your post). You get essentially the same cooking vessel as the Performer and as for gas assist, I've got one of those weed burner/torches from Harbor Freight and I can have the charcoal lit in about 4 minutes with that thing.

I've had my OTS since 2004. I've replaced the cooking grate on it and was smart enough the second time around to buy stainless steel. I also replaced the one touch cleaning system last year.

For my own personal $100, I'd rather have the OTS than the gas assist MasterChef but then again, I'm a Weber apologist.

Pat

Well guys,

I think i am going to give the Weber customer service another try.

If I have good luck with them, then a Weber it is.

I'm really looking forward to trying charcoal - I hope I enjoy it as much as all of you guys!

Now to decide on a standard kettle or a performer! Wish they carried them in stock in my area so I could get a hands on feel of them.

Anyone know a good mail order site for us Canucks?

Glad your taking the plunge on a charcoal. I have two kettles, and finally bought an older performer and restored it. I love the performer...and will never be w/out one. The table, the assist, the storage...it is worth it. I guarantee that you will post after getting it...stating its the best grill ever...and how much you love it! We all did
icon_biggrin.gif
Get the performer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its me again - I've been seeing these WSM units you guys are talking about.

I am very interested.

Can the lid be taken off of these for grilling? I'm kind of thinking of a smoker with the ability to sometimes grill, instead of trying to smoke and slow cook with a kettle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since no one else answered this, I'll point you here on the main site. The simple answer is: Yes, you can grill on the WSM. The link above shows how to modify the WSM into a charcoal grill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back