Help! Maintaining temp on WSM 18

Fred Womble

Hi all. I've used my new WSM 4 times now, ribs 3 and pork butts once. All the meat has been outstanding, very happy as far as that goes. But I'm having the darndest time maintaining a temp level in the "smoke" range on the WSM thermometer and it's discouraging. I gave up my sidebox smoker for this, and now I can't make the WSM work! At first I thought I wasn't using enough charcoal. When I did the ribs I used a full chimney, about 100 pieces of charcoal. When I did my butts two weeks ago, I did the full chimney and then dumped another half in the WSM, so 150-170 pieces of burning charcoal, with apple wood chunks.

Temps start out fine, just over the smoke range level and then settles right at high end for a good hour or so. Within three hours, though, temp dips to around 190. I've opened up the vents 100%, added wood. Have to stay on it the whole time to keep temps above 190. My guess is if I didn't continue to work it, it'd drop even lower. No clue what I'm doing wrong.

I've read here and other places that you can get the WSM going and leave it practically overnight and smoke your pork without much work. I actually enjoy playing with it and the "process" so I'm not looking for a complete hands off smoke. But it can't be this hard. Grateful for any advice as to what I'm not doing right. Thank you from a new WSM owner!

Hmmm. That is a little surprising. What kind of charcoal are you using?

I think a fail safe method is two lit chimneys and all vents open with a full water pan. You could put less water in if you want higher temps and even use an empty water pan to get it up to 325.

Hi Fred.
It reads to me like you're using mostly burning coals sorta like a Standard Method? Try the Minion Method and see if that helps.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/fireup1.html

Tim

Hello Fred,

What Tim said. I got similar results as you then watched the Minion method video again and got better results. I was using too much charcoal in the chimney and spread it out instead of putting right in the middle. Also, charcoal types do yield different results (FWIW I use Kingsford Original) but where do you keep your charcoal is important because open bags are more sensitive to humidity. I know store all charcoal in my attached albeit unheated garage rather than my shed. It is much drier and more temperate in my garage.

Thanks, guys! I will use Minion method and move my charcoal'from deck (in a storage bin, but outdoors nonetheless). Appreciate your quick replies.

Fred the minion method works best with a full ring of charcoal. I know for ribs you will not need that much but you can always shut it down after the cook and use the left overs another day. I do not use them in the smoker usually but for lighting or in my kettle they work fine. Also is your top vent wide open, if not it should be.

I've only done four cooks on my new WSM but I've learned winds plays havoc with maintaining temps. I will be building some type of wind shield soon.

Back