HELP I'M STRESSING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Ir

TVWBB Member
HELLO EVERYONE,

TODAY I AM COOKING 3 RACKS OF SPARERIBS. MY WSM IS ACTING VERY STRANGE. I STARTED OUT WITH THE MINION METHOD, AND IT TOOK OVER AN HOUR TO GET THE TEMP UP TO 225 AT RACK LEVEL, NOW 3 HOURS INTO THE COOK I'M GETTING 300 AT RACK LEVEL!!! WHY??? I HAVE NOW DONE AT LEAST 10 COOKS ALL USING THE MINION METHOD, AND ALMOST LIKE MAGIC, THE TEMP WENT RIGHT TO 225 AND STAYED THERE THROUGHOUT THE COOK WETHER IT BE BRISKET , RIBS, OR PORK BUTT, I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE. THE ONLY THING I CAN THINK OF IS I CLEANED THE INSIDE OF THE WSM RIGHT DOWN TO THE FACTORY FINISH THIS WEEK. BUT EVEN WHEN IT WAS BRAND NEW, USING THE MINION METHOD, IT WENT RIGHT TO 225, AND STAYED THERE, WITHIN TOLERANCE. I AM HOPING THE RIBS MAKE IT AS I'M HAVING A B-DAY PARTY FOR MY MOTHER-IN-LAW TODAY. ANY COMMENTS, SUGGESTIONS WILL BE WELCOMED. THANKYOU BIG IR

BigIr...

There seem to be a hundred different things that effect the temps in the WSM. I don't think any 2 cooks are alike...at least not around here.

I wouldn't worry about it....sounds like a basic temp spike. Choke the vents down and don't be afraid to partially close the top vent. Give it 15-30 minutes and see where the temp goes.

I got 2 WSM packed full of BB's and mine just spiked up to 239..no big deal. It's already trending down. We have gusty winds today and that is affecting these temps.

WELL IT SEEMS THAT I HAVE STRESSED FOR NOTHING. THE RIBS CAME OUT THE BEST I HAVE EVER DONE. I USED STOGIE'S METHOD, SMOKE FOR 3 HOURS, FOIL FOR 2 AND A HALF HOURS, GLAZE AND BACK ON FOR A HALF HOUR. MAN THEY WERE PERFECT...SO GOOD IN FACT I WILL NOT WAVER FROM STOGIES PROCEDURE AS YOU CAN NOT IMPROVE ON PERFECTION.....THANK YOU STOGIE!!!

Yes Larry, They were quite awesome, perfect tenderness, fall off the bone, not mushy. I tried a new rub from Steven Raichlenn's BBQ Bible of sauces and mops, and rubs. I also went the sweet route with this batch. I might add I tried the 5 parts KC masterpiece to one part honey Chris has posted somewhere in here and it was VERY good. This web-site is so informative and helpful, what a great tool. Thankyou Chris.

One last question Big Ir. Were the bottom vents closed when you began the cook; right after you put the few hot ones on the cold ones? You mean you kept them closed and the temp. rose to 300?
Larry
I'm doing my ribs today! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Larry,

I always start out with them completly open then close them to whatever I need to maintain 225. Yesterday was wierd, I couldnt get temp up for over an hour then when 225 was achieved, started closing vents. Even then the temp raised up to 300. I don't understand why and I hope it never happens again. Good luck on your cook.

As silly as it may sound, it might be the thermometer.

Ever lose something to find out later it's in your pocket?

Just a thought, you never know !

I'm glad it worked out !

Cheers !

Marc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back