HELP!! FRUSTRATED!! SMOKEY MOUNTAIN 18 and Heat Shield

Jeff Ben

Hello all! I am super frustrated! So I pick up the WSM 18 at Home Depot for a steal! I send the wife to get brisket ribs and cold beer! I eat lightly all day so I can hunger for good smoked food and for the life of me I cannot find out how to make the heat shield sit on the 3 legs. When I prop it up..it's so flimsy and when I put the charcoal bowl in to screw it together the legs fall out of the notches every single time!! I understand this is step one and not rocket science but for the life of me.. My heat shield will not stay in place to allow the charcoal bowl to rest while I bolt it down. Any tips would be appreciate!! The only video I can find is for the WSM 22.

Thanks!!

I have the older 18.5" and my 22.5" was bought used but looking at the video/pictures and my 22.5" I would try to flip the bowl over. Place it on a table and temporarily tape the heat shield with some painters tape to the bowl. Slide the bowl over the edge of the table and reach inside to attach one leg (finger tight) than rotate and do the other two. Flip the bowl over remove the tape and drop the heat shield into the slots. Than tighten securely.
Edit: I should also add check your legs for proper alignment one or more of them could be bent out of shape.

Tim

Last edited:
Please don't sue me if this doesn't work and you burn your house down or something, but does anyone know if the heat shield really NEEDED if you are that excited to use the new WSM today? You could always try to get new legs (Weber will send you new ones for free I am sure...) and install later.

I have mine out in the middle of a huge brick patio, so I would not have a fear of using without a shield.

Having said that, I don't remember having that much of an issue getting mine on, none at all. Is it an option to bring that one back to HD, get a new one, and start fresh?

Please don't sue me if this doesn't work and you burn your house down or something, but does anyone know if the heat shield really NEEDED if you are that excited to use the new WSM today? You could always try to get new legs (Weber will send you new ones for free I am sure...) and install later.

I have mine out in the middle of a huge brick patio, so I would not have a fear of using without a shield.

Having said that, I don't remember having that much of an issue getting mine on, none at all. Is it an option to bring that one back to HD, get a new one, and start fresh?

You make a good point!!! I have a concrete patio. One that the wife built a firebox directly on! I wonder if the heat shield is really needed! Besides I can always put the shield on later as I sit around with the guys. I can't let this shield stop me... Just wanted it done right is all.

I had the same trouble putting on the heat shield. I figured out that when I put 2 legs on the grill, then the heat shield, then the 3rd leg. That went well.

I think somebody ( don't recall who ) ditched that way too big water pan and subbed the heat shield and uses it as a heat deflector.

Tim

I cook on my 14.5 with no heat shield. The 18.5 and 22.5 were real easy to install the heat shield though. I just put two legs on and then heat shield, then the third. Took maybe 15 - 30 seconds and 1 try each.

I don't know if he ever solved this but next time just use some linemans pliers to pull the catch tabs on the legs out 1/4" and it gives you more play to attach it...and then once it's on bend them back in...it locks it on tight.

Turn the charcoal bowl upside down on your picnic table and bolt the legs to the cooker. If I can do it - you can! Or, ask the wife... :coolkettle:

Back