Help From the Board, Please?

Randy G

TVWBB Fan
The in laws just "reassigned" fathers day to my house. 26 people on the Saturday before Fathers Day. I have a 24 hour period to cook between getting off work and when people coming over.

Of course, plan on BBQ'ing.

So how would you play it with the following?

18.5 WSM
22.5" Kettle Performer
Weber Genesis Sliver
BGE Large

My initial thoughts...

BGE - Whole Pork Shoulder
WSM - Chicken (4-8)
Kettle - Spares (3 racks vertically with rib rack)
Genesis - Pork Tenderloin (reverse sear)

I know there are better ideas out there. Let me hear them.

What is your timeline for the cook? Are you going to do the chicken on the WSM high heat? What temp are you planning for the pork shoulder? Is the pork for pulled pork sandwiches?

Pretty much have free reign on time starting at 3p on Friday. Thinking high heat for the chicken because I want the chickens cut before hand. Pulled pork sandwiches or platter.

Wondering if better use of wsm is for the pulled pork and go with multiple smaller butts.

Pretty much have free reign on time starting at 3p on Friday. Thinking high heat for the chicken because I want the chickens cut before hand. Pulled pork sandwiches or platter.

Wondering if better use of wsm is for the pulled pork and go with multiple smaller butts.

As for the pulled pork, I would do 4 butts on the WSM so they are done by 9AM on Saturday. I would use the BGE for the chicken on high heat starting 9AM Saturday. Use the Performer for the Spares and the Genesis for the tenderloin. Assuming you have a good size cooler, use it as a faux cambro to keep all meat hot until time to pull and or serve. Reason for the extra butts is leftovers. I love leftovers. If you can plan it so most cooks are done when the guests arrive, you will be able to be the perfect host and have a great time. If you have kids, they should help in the prep and cooking to honor you. This way, you will look like a hero for the in-laws.

As to the post above, i think 4 is way too many for the amount of people you'll have. 2 would be plenty and you'll have lots of leftovers.

Back