Help - First Smoke in progress

Adam E

Hey all, I'm about an hour into my first smoke and I'm having trouble getting the temp up.

I'm only doing a bunch of chicken parts and I used almost a full chimney of Kingsford. I tossed three small chunks of apple wood on top.

The thing is smoking like crazy and I have all vents open trying to get the temp up.

Using the thermometer from my Weber Genesis grill in the top vent (I know it's accurate), I'm reading 200 degrees. It just won't climb.

Any ideas?

Sorry for any incoherence, but the Eagles game just started!!!

Thanks Merc.

Yes right now I have all vents open and the pan was filled with warm water (cold next time?). It's a brand new bag of charcoal so I can only assume it was dry.

I'll try opening the door.

If you're using water in the pan, then I believe your problem is simply not enough fuel. If you're still cooking, I would add another 1/2 to 3/4 chimney. Also, if you aren't using a Weber chimney, you used 4 lbs vs 6 lb of fuel which surely isn't enough. Many do chicken with an empty, foiled lined pan to achieve 300 to 325 temps.

Hoped things work out.

Paul

Thanks everybody for all of your suggestions.

I finally added a bunch more charcoal. Initially, I used about 3/4 of a Weber chimney and I ended up using a good 7 lbs. total.

After adding all of the extra charcoal, the temp. finally reached 235.

The chicken came out very good, but my oldest daughter (7 years) who likes everything didn't care for it. My youngest (4 years), who hates everything, loved it. Go figure.

Well, let me go digest this info and think of some more question for you all.

Thanks!

Back