Help!!!! Chipped Lid!

steveD

TVWBB Fan
I just uncovered the kettle to plank a salmon filet. Upon reaching to take the lid off, I immediately noticed a chip in the enamel. I find it hard to believe it was chipped the last time I used it since I noticed it so quickly, but I can't figure out how it could have gotten chipped in the interim - I store it covered under my deck on gravel.

Anyway, what is the best way to fix this so it doesn't rust on me?

1464474436548-1148060407.jpg

Last edited:
Not sure if your kettle is still under warranty. Mine fell off the ground, scratched, and now it's rusted where it's scratched. I contacted Weber and they sent me a new lid. It doesn't hurt to ask.

The lid should still be under warranty since I got the grill new in 2012. What information will I need if/when I contact customer service?

Tape off the tiny chip and shoot it with a little gloss / semi gloss engine enamel. You don't need the 2000 deg paint, and most of them are flat or satin.

Mine was from 2013 with the AU serial code on the top vent. You just email them the serial number (just 2 letters) and your model (OTG for example) describing the problem. I also asked if the grill grate is covered under warranty when it's rusted. They responded asking for shipping address, a photo of the problem, and approximate purchase date. It was very simple.

I later realized while they cover the grate under warranty, but only for 2 years. They didn't mention anything about it and just sent me new one. That kind of service actually made me feel a lot better after ordering the SCGC.

Last edited:
Clean the area thoroughly with a damp rage.

If the area has any rust, buff it with sandpaper. Scuff the area well.

Get an 8oz can of rustoleum high heat paint and touch up the area. Let it dry before using. The paint is a flatter finish than the glossy finish, so you'll be able to see the repair, but it will last a long time. It's a badge of honor for using the grill. Chicks dig scars.

I finally got around to calling Weber this evening. They are sending me a new lid (with thermometer which mine doesn't have) including the handle (with heat shield which mine doesn't have), and damper assembly! Weber definitely lives up to their reputation for customer service!

I assembled the replacement lid last night. It did not come with the thermometer, and there is no hole for a thermometer. They also sent me an extra damper assembly as there was one already on the lid and they provided a replacement as well. One thing that I do not like about the new lid compared to my old one is that they changed the orientation of the handle. The handle on my old lid was oriented in line with the hook for hanging on the side of the kettle, whereas the new handle is oriented in the opposite direction. I haven't tried hanging the lid on the kettle yet, but just holding the lid it feels like it will be very awkward to hang on the side of the kettle. Has anyone else noticed this?

Thanks Joe, but I'm kind of past repairing the chipped lid at this point... Weber sent me a replacement lid since the grill is under warranty. See my post immediately above yours regarding handle orientation.

Thanks Joe, but I'm kind of past repairing the chipped lid at this point... Weber sent me a replacement lid since the grill is under warranty. See my post immediately above yours regarding handle orientation.
Yeah, I saw that and then I posted in case you might want to restore the original lid.

Back