Help...Bent Damper Control Arm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Cash

TVWBB Gold Member
Forgot to put a drip pan down when cooking Larry Wolf's Orange Marmalade Sriracha Wings. Gunked up my kettle, but good!

After cooking a few skirts the other night I added a full chimney of unlit and cracked the lid a little to get the temps way up and burn all the crud out. Went out an hour or so later and she was smokin' hot (needed a towel to lift the lid as the handle was so hot). Thought I'd sweep the One Touch to clean the bowl but it was really, really tight. Finally got it to move, only it wasn't the blades moving. It was the Damper Control Arm bending.

BentDCR1.jpg

What's the remedy here?

1. Take the One Touch System apart, bend the arm back and reassemble.
2. Order a new Damper Control Arm and put it in the old One Touch System
3. Order an all new One Touch System.

Any advice on taking the One Touch System apart? I bought my OTG already assembled.

The only One Touch System I can find on weber.com is this one ( http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1301 ) but it says it's for "22-1/2” One-Touch® (prior to 2000 model year)". Mine's newer than that. Is this the one I need?

Continuing my forgetful nature, I forgot to remove the ash pan before flipping the kettle over this morning to snap that pic...that's why there's ash all over the bottom in the above pic. Got quite a cleanup when I get home from work...
icon_mad.gif

Thanks in advance for any advice/help!!!

Any tips on disassembling it? I got the legs off, ring off but can't get the damper control arm out. I called Weber and they said it's like a key and twists until the notches line up and pulls out. I can't get it to twist at all and don't see any notches, either on the arm or the holes the arm goes into.

I'm thinking I'm going to replace the whole assembly but if I can't even get the arm off...
icon_mad.gif

Don,

Look at the arm right under the kettle. You will see a key on the arm, either the right side or left. Turn the arm so key face down away from the kettle. Then pull the arm out.
It helps to have some push down on the center of the blades in the kettle.

I have the insructions at home from weber w/ diagrams If your still having trouble I can scan and E-mail to you later tonight.

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom P:

It helps to have some push down on the center of the blades in the kettle.

I have the insructions at home from weber w/ diagrams If your still having trouble I can scan and E-mail to you later tonight. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Tom. Maybe that's the problem...I need someone to push from the inside. A friend of mine is coming into town tomorrow and he's a mechanical engineer. If he can't figure it out I don't know who can.

Don't go to any trouble with the instructions but if you want my email is drcebay(at)gmail(dot)com

Thanks!!

You can take a small screwdriver and pry the end of the bar away from the kettle and you should be able to rotate the bar. The washer has a notch in it and the bar has a part that fits into the notch. You need to seperate the two and then the bar will turn. Hope that helps.

Dennis

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dennis JKT:
You can take a small screwdriver and pry the end of the bar away from the kettle and you should be able to rotate the bar. The washer has a notch in it and the bar has a part that fits into the notch. You need to seperate the two and then the bar will turn. Hope that helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks, Dennis. I'll give that a try.

Thanks Tom! Actually I didn't get your email...must be lost in the intertubes somewhere. I bought a while new OT assembly on my way home from work yesterday. Woke up this morning, broke out the dremmel and cut the arm off. Not the way it is supposed to be done but it's fixed now.

Thanks for the help!!!

Every One Touch Cleaning system I've replaced has involved a dremmel tool - I think that IS the way to do it!

Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back