Help and Aussie select the right WSM

Brad B

Hi all,

Ive been using a weber kettle 22" for a few years and now looking into a WSM. Just not sure if I should opt for the 18.5 or 22.5 ?

I do like the size of my 22.5" surface area on my kettle.

Usually I wont be cooking for more the 12 people, but would be nice on the odd occasion that I can cook for 25-30

You guys over in the US are very lucky, the WSM is darn cheap there, here I'm looking at $499 for the 18.5" or $699 for the 22.5"

Would appreciate any advice from other WSM owners.

Cheers

if I could have afforded it I would have gotten the 22.5 without a doubt. I couldn't so I got the 18
icon_wink.gif

I have a 22 kettle as well, and I like having the 22 wsm so that I can use the grate off of the kettle and add a third grate and all I had to do was make longer brackets.

Someone was saying that Amazon now ships the WSM to Australia. I would look into it here, and make sure you click the link to help support the board.

I found the link, but it is to another bbq forum, but an Aussie one. If this isn't allowed, please remove this link.

Forgot to say, I'm in Brissy and have a 22.5" that I brought with me from the US. Glad I got the bigger one. There is another thread about regretting getting the 22.5 over the 18.5, and not one person has!

Thanks all for the replies, will definatly look into amazon as its so MUCH cheaper!

Thanks will post back my results.

Cheers

All done, ordered it from Amazon!! Got the 22.5, shipped to Aust for $460 which is a GREAT deal.

Considering they are not usually sold here, and the retailers sell the 18.5 for $699 i'm a very happy camper!!

Thanks very much R Kearn for letting me know about this offer, otherwise I was going to order a 22 from ebay and be up for $700!

Cheers

I got the 18.5 for a 10 year anniversary from my work and as much as I love it I wish I could have just gotten a check for the 18.5 cost and covered the rest for the bigger. Once you get started you gonna wanna go bigger all the time.

Do what i did, take your 22" kettle and mount it on top of the 18.5 mid section, turns your 18.5 into a 22" wsm.

@ Noe.
I noticed your sig and you have mentioned this before.(I think??)
Did you ever put up any pics?
Did you cut out the bottom of the kettle for air-flow?
And do you just set it on the mid-section?

I just pulled out a 22.5 silver base out of the dumpster at work. The legs are trashed, but the charcoal bowl and sweepers are nice.I just might try this on my 18.5 WSM.

Tim

Sup Tim, yeah i took off the grate brackets from the mid section and just put the screws back on the mid section, then i set the bowl on top of the mid section and leveled it, then drilled 1/4" holes underneath the lip of the mid sec at a 45 degree angle thru the lip and the bowl, cut out the bottom of the bowl, cleaned the inside of the lip on the mid sec and fill with high heat silicone, let the silicone dry and then sit the bowl back on the mid sec, re drill holes thru the silicone run the screws and tighten up, took my top wsm grate and set it where the original charcoal kettle grate went. So now i have an 18.5 grate on the top 22" grate. My next step is to find a used 22" kettle and use the bowl for a lid for the extra height, i will take the lid and cut the lip off and sit over the bowl, then the bowl will sit perfect. Basically just picture a kettle upside down and that is how it will look.

OK..
You're kinda loosin me here.
You put a 22.5" kettle charcoal base on an 18.5" WSM, and you're still using the 18.5" top grate set at the height of the kettles charcoal grate?
What are you gaining? I thought your idea used the 22.5" top grate set at the original location.
Or did I miss read ??

Tim

Tim, i replaced the original charcoal grate in the kettle with the original top grate from the 18.5 wsm, i now have one 18.5" grate and the 22" grate to use. I can cook 3 bb ribs laying flat on the lower 18.5" grate and 4 slabs on the 22" grate. I also have an extra 22" grate where i can flip over and lay over the original 22" top grate and add an extra 4 slabs of ribs if needed.

Back