Help a Newb cook 4 butts

RodneyS

TVWBB Member
Just got my 22" WSM. Trying to smoke 4 butts on top grate. Using "Mr. Brown" recipe. Rubbed the butts this morning, let rest for 11 hours. Put them on the WSM about45 minutesago, but looking back over the recipe it appears that I forgot to rub the butts again before I placed them on the grill.

How much will this matter in the long run?

If it does matter, what can I do to correct.

Just checked the temps, smoker is 215* using the lid therm, and the meat is 96* using a wireless Taylor meat thermometer I picked up at Lowes.

Any help would be appreciated!

Well, you could just let them go. Or you could pull them and rub them again.

At this point, I don't think it will make a lot of difference either way.

Just let them sit in the smoker i wouldent touch them untill they are done.

215 lid temp is a good temp(runs abit hotter at the grate) But dont panic if it gets a bit hotter they will turn out good anyway.

Good luck

Here is an update- and more problems!

Last I checked last night, temp on the lid was 250 at 2:15. I checked again at 5:30 and temps had fallen to 160! I added more Kingsford, and even Minioned some and added. Temps quickly rose. I have turned the butts and have basted. Meat temp is in the 150's. Lid temp is back at 250.

I also added more water by just pouring through the top grate.

I have to leave here in an hour and will be gone for 2 hours. I also must leave again at 12:00 and be gone for 4 hours.

Think the butts will be done before 12:00?

Well i think you will hit the stall(plateau) soon and the temp inside the meat wont move,but if you have 7h before deadline and the meat is @ 150 now i guess it will be ready depending on temp of the wsm/and the cut ofc.

If you have to have it done by 12 try to stay around 250 lid temp.

And relax and have fun i bet they will turn out great

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">stay at 250 lid temp.

And relax and have fun i bet they will turn out great </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed!

Rodney, not sure where you live or what time it is now, but, if the meat is done (tender) or very close at 12 you can pull and hold in an insulated cooler. Cooking will continue a bit assuming you don't vent before wrapping. If it isn't ready to pull by 12 you may want to wait. You can always kick up the final temp for the last hr to 325 and finish a little quicker. No problem, the bulk of the meat cooking is done by then. Some of us cook HH all the way with excellent results. Send pics when done.
Mark

Rodney -

I think you'll be OK. Butts are very forgiving.

As for the rub - In most cases, one coat of rub'll do ya' just fine.

As Wolgast said - don't loose your cool when you hit the "plateau" around 170°. They're gonna' sit there for a while, but if you keep the heat to 'em, they'll come out of it when they decide to (it's pretty hard to tell how long it will take - just be patient).

Just got back about 20 minutes ago, and the Temp was down to 160 at the lid. I pulled the butts, wrapped and stuck in the oven to finish off. Meat temp was about 170-180. How long should I leave in the oven?

I guess I just did not put enough Kingsford in at the beginning. I put about 16 pounds in, then this morning put the rest in. I guess I should go with the full 20 lb bag next time.

I did eat a little of the meat that fell off when I was removing from the grill. The butts are real tender, hopefully this time in the oven will make them even better.

If you have a meat thermometer, it should be near done when the temperature is between 180 and 190 degrees - but do not go by temperature alone! The temperature can tell you when to start checking for "doneness":

When the internal temperature gets SOLIDLY into the middle of this "zone" check it once an hour or so by poking it with a probe, or try wiggling the bone with a pair of tongs.

If the probe goes in like butter, or if you could gently pull the bone out, they're done. If not, give 'em some more time - but don't drive yourself crazy testing. Wait at least 30 minutes between subsequent tests.

How big was the biggest butt? Roughly, how long were they on the smoker total? I usually estimate 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.

Did not turn out bad. Honestly, I have only ate a little. I have had an allergic reaction to a shot, and have had an upset stomach as a result. But my wife-who really does not like pork- thought they were really good. I gave one butt away and have vacuum-sealed two butts in portions (after I pulled them). I am planning on giving this meat away also- I had planned on doing it today, but with two doctor visits, had to pull and freeze for give-away tomorrow. I do have pics- just need to figure out how to post them.

What I really need now is some help cleaning the WSM- it is more work than I thought!

Thanks for all the help and encouragement. The meat turned out great, moist, tender....

Glad I found this site and so many helpful people.

"What I really need now is some help cleaning the WSM- it is more work than I thought!"

What clean up?

Water? Wait until the next day. I don't use water anymore due to the mess. Use a clay saucer or just an empty pan, foil them, then toss the foil.

Grates? Just hit the top surface with a brush. Do this after you've set aside the meat to rest. The residual heat as the cooker shutsdown will 'sanitize' the grates.

Ash? Wait until the next day. Save any unused charcoal, dump the ash in a trash bag.

Done.

I double foil our butts at internal temp of 160 degrees place them back in the WSM till they hit 190 internal , take em back out the WSM still in foil , put them in the cooler for 30 mins , take em out after say 30 to 45 mins then pull . Leaves enough time to get the turn in box ready with no rushing. We usually get ouirs in within minutes of the first turn in horn blow. Our butts even in the WSM take around 12 hrs the temp varies between 220 - 250 in the cooker , yes you will hit plateau`s but no worries thats gonna happen.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Walter Eugene Brooker,Jr.:
I double foil our butts at internal temp of 160 degrees place them back in the WSM till they hit 190 internal , </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

How do you measure internal temp when you have them double foiled? Pierce the aluminum? Wrap the probe into the foil?

Just wrap the wire of the probe in the foil , its not that hard to do once the butts are off the cooker for the wrapping , if I am using both levels , the extra length wire probes are handy, of course I have a folding beside both pits for the duration of the smoking.

As far as clean up, i am with Travis. I learned how to foil the pan thanks to Chris and this site. I have read a lot of posts about clean up lately. My clean up never takes more than 15 minutes or so. 30 if I am picky. I don't use water any more and foil as per Chris' suggestion. The foil on the bottom of the pan lasts several cooks and I only have to replace the inside foil. Everything else brushes off.

Back