Help - 16 hrs & counting

Hi,
I started 4 butts last evening at 5 pm, that 16 hours ago, and now the big one I'm monitoring is only at 163. Is there a problem if i keep them in another couple of hours? They look fabulous, but just aren't done. I'm having trouble [obviously] keeping the temp up, and it seems to have run at about 200 most of the night. Right now it's at 227, all vents fully open, and the door upside down.

Thanks,
Michael

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
Hi,
I started 4 butts last evening at 5 pm, that 16 hours ago, and now the big one I'm monitoring is only at 163. Is there a problem if i keep them in another couple of hours? They look fabulous, but just aren't done. I'm having trouble [obviously] keeping the temp up, and it seems to have run at about 200 most of the night. Right now it's at 227, all vents fully open, and the door upside down.

Thanks,
Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're doing fine, but you still have several hours to go, so make sure you add more charcoal if needed.

You're doing fine Michael. Sometimes they have a mind of their own, it's done when it's done. Keep the coals going and relax.

You may be at the plateau (160 ish) for a little while, once it gets past that it will jump right on up to your target temp.

not to beat a deadhorse here, but definitely sit back and relax. I've had 2 (bigger) butts go for 16+ hours...I'd say you're right on track.

...now all you need to do is post pics before you dig in ;-)

Michael, I've been known to finish butts in the oven. You've smoked it this long. It won't affect the taste. My WSM one one occasion just ran out of"steam". SO, I preheated the oven to about 300,inserted my remote meat probe, and when the meat hit approx.195 I checked for tenderness with another probe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael G.:
Hi,

Thanks,
Michael </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Grab you an adult beverage(sweet tea if you don't drink!!)and kick your feet up and relax!!
icon_biggrin.gif
You already have added coals...It'll get there...The aniticipation gets the best of us sometimes!!! Hope it works out for ya!!

Ron

My first butts took 18 hours. You are going through the same thoughts that I had at the time. Mine ended up perfect.

Back