Help! 100 lbs of pork loin?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
I've been thrown the task of cooking 100 lbs of pork loin for a lunch tomorrow. There's a large oven available - standard and convection sides or a very large pit. I'm leaning towards the pit, but I don't want the meat to come out dry. No time to brine. How long would it take on the pit; I can cook at a high temp. I'm thinking just under 2 hours at 275 -300? Any suggestions on rub?

I'd cook higher, frankly. Whole loins? What size? Boneless or not?

Rubs I usually base on the meat plus the sides. What sides? You could rub and also consider applying a simple glaze the last several minutes, also depending on sides.

Boneless whole loins, haven't seen them, but I hear they are large.

Sides I believe are beans and potato salad. Theres about 25 lbs of sausage to cook too.

I was thinking of doing some kind of glaze to finish them off; orange juice, brown sugar, cider vinegar, etc.

I would probably cook them at about 325F. If the fat cap is still attached, leave it at the top and season with black pepper, celery salt and garlic.
You can use a few drip pans and make some pretty good gravy with these. The pork loin puzzles me a little though, as I thought that they only Q beef in Texas. :)

Bob,

There is a lot of Qing here, but someone knows someone who got a smokin' deal on pork loin. This is for a fund raiser held in conjunction with an auction. People will just mill through and we'll serve sausage and pork loin. A different combo I admit, but that's what they've thrown at me.

I just cooked 100 pounds of pork loin about a month ago. They turned out great, and I've been asked to cook again next year.

Don't over cook them! They'll be dry as shoe leather if you do. USDA says they're done @ 138, so cook to about 130 and after the "rest" they'll be over 140 and perfect!

Here's a link to what I posted on the Stump's Smoker forum right after I got home from the cook.

My Weekend

Great post Bob! Good tips, I'm leaning towards a rub that will go with a fruity/sweetish glaze. How long did you chill the meat with the rub on it?

Your rub and glaze sound good to me. I was thinking of something like that, but was out-voted.

I was trying for about 4 hours in the rub, refrigerated. The second 50 pounds only got about 2 hours, and I really couldn't tell the difference.

I think that the Cambro and disposable foil trays saved the day, since I really wasn't planning on 100 pounds. If you don't have a Cambro, you do know about holding in a dry cooler? (without ice!)

BOB

We use coolers all the time. I'll be up early so there'll be time to rub and chill. Thanks for the tips.

Good luck! Be sure to plan time to rest afterwards!
icon_wink.gif

BOB

Yup--big deal is not to overcook. At 325-350 they won't take long. (Having them at room temp, or so, will even the cooking.)

I like the garlic, pepper and celery combo Bob mentions. I like using ground celery seed, not too much, with some granulated onion and thyme as well. A touch of allspice--not enough to be identifiable--will add a bottom to the profile.

Everything turned out great! Cooked the loins at 350 for about 1.75 hours. Was able to sear them somewhat at the front end of the pit as it runs much hotter there. Then it was just a matter of rotating. Bob, I did a basic rub and chilled until cooking. About 20 minutes from pulling, I applied an orange-apricot glaze. They turned out very moist and compliments were plentiful. We had about 6 full loins left over and announced they were for sale. Sold them in about 20 minutes. Thanks Bob and Kevin for the help.

Pork Loin

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together?

Glad everything worked well and that everyone enjoyed the great food.

I've decided that from now on, pork loins will be my "go to" choice of meat for larger groups.

BOB

Back