Hello my fellow gasers....Spirit 210 older model question....I have spark and gas but she doesnt fire initially but does eventually

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Well I wasnt gunna bother the gaser crew on this but the Forum sent me a message to check in and so here I am. I have restored a Weber Spirit 210 old school w rounded hood. I actually despise this model because it has a rusted bottom shelf 99% of the time but if the pickin's are slim and man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. So I went to fire the ole gal up and the igniter pops like a champ and I do have a good jumpy spark and she is pouring out gas very nicely. It will eventually start and the flames look good and both burners light. So my question for you pro's is.......where would you start to solve the puzzle. Usually we would say well just bend the igniter probe out a little to get a hotter spark......that didnt work. Clean the burner tube holes.......they are clean. Replace the starter? Doesnt make sense. Replace the regulator? Maybe. Check the air screens? hmmmm possibly....... Surly I can get her fixed but just curious how you guys would go about solving the issue. I need to go back to my bread and butter and only play w Genie's.

I like Larry's suggestion of trying to light it on a lower setting.

Does your grill have the piezo igniter and the gas collector down by the burner?

OK, Does that have the ceramic electrodes or the kind with the stainless gas collector?

Ceramic.......I tried to raise it up for more pop and also pushed it down but surprisingly this old trick did not work. Usually pushing it up is the ticket.

Yah, I would have suggested making the gap a tad bit larger. Also, make sure the electrode is pushed all the way forward. If it is already, try pushing it back an 1/8th inch back or so just to change the area of the spark a little. This is provided turning the valve down a bit doesn't work.

I will report back this evening......it is always something simple but it just makes you scratch your head sometimes.

If you want to hear something truly stupid to check ---- this is the one that caught me with my Spirit......
Check to see if you have your 'chain link match lighter' thingy is hanging near the electronics box --- I was having the same problem - clicking away nicely but no light ---- the spark was jumping from one of the contacts to the chain making a short loop that still pops really nice. Move the chain and all is good again.

It really was just that stupidly simple....

Last edited:
Ahhhhh good one! Will check for sure. I hate those things and cut them off of every grill I get! Once cut off I then snip off the end of the solid metal part which is shaped like a cotter pin. And if that isnt good enough :) I use said cotter pin for the wheel axels on Spirit II and Genesis II.

Yah, every time one comes on a rehab, they are all rusted up and staining the rest of the grill.

I see a lot of places where Weber has cut corners to save a dollar on a grill over the years. The chained match holder thing should have been one of them. No, the FIRST one of them.

Funny you should mention your issue of delayed lighting. My in-laws and I have the same E-210 grill, mine is one year newer (2015). When my FIL was alive, he always commented that his grill wouldn't start with the electronic igniter. I would go over there and it would start, albeit after about five seconds of pushing the button. It would click the whole time, just took seconds to ignite. I attributed his not getting the thing started to his poor hearing- he couldn't hear the clicking. Maybe it wasn't sparking the whole time. I never looked into it further. When I cook over there now, I just know to let it click until it lights.
My E-210 ignites almost instantly. Not sure what's causing the difference.

I'm not sure why.... but it ALWAYS seems like the match light chains are hanging near/over the control box..... I'm pretty sure I put it there myself on mine --- just because it seemed like 'a good spot out of the way'..... instead of it rattling on the door every time I opened it.

Past that --- I'd say check the wire lead for cracks in the insulation - it may be sparking elsewhere.

Ok gents.....I tinkered on the 210 today. I had already removed the stupid match chain so that wasnt it. I cleaned the air screens so that wasnt it. But props to Larry......I dialed her down to medium and she fired up every single time. I then thought if its blowing itself out maybe I should adjust the air.....the burners were set kind of high flame on this grill so I did the adjustment and it still did not solve the problem. Since it literally starts instantly on medium I will just teach the buyer to start on medium. I did a high heat run to 550 w no issues and a leak test w no issues. I could probably change out each part one at a time to figure which is the culprit but its already advertised on FB so I dont think I will have time to figure out the real cause. Thanks Larry!!

Jim, I think you are good to go as it sits. Just tell the buyer to start on medium. No big deal. Post up a link to the FB MP add, please!

I will only post the link because you asked but it is the least impressive post that I have put on FB in probably a year. It got down to slim pickin's around here so I knocked out 3 Spirits in a row. Then I finally snagged a nice Genesis 310 and I was back on my horse. So I will post it...but please dont judge....this is not my style.

here is my 310 Genie' which is more like it

Those are both good looking grills Jim. I don't personally like the two burner grills, but if I did, I would be all over that Spirit.

Back