Hello from the Memphis, Tn area

Carl_S_901

TVWBB Fan
So my brother was at my Dad's house last Sunday working on his vehicle. I went over just as they were finishing up when my brother remarked that he was thinking about buying a smoker from Lowes for $59. "It cannot be very good for that price - what brand?" I asked. We went inside to the computer and I looked at it on the Lowes website and did some quick research. "Cheap junk" I exclaimed. "What does Weber have?" I asked. (We all own Weber gas grills) My brother mentioned that he had the WSM 18.5 in his Amazon wish list but it cost a lot more. I have always had an interest in doing pulled pork at home so I told him we should go in halves but I am only in if we buy the good stuff.

We checkout the WSM 18.5 on Amazon and it looks good. My brother mentions something about the small one and then find there is a WSM 22.5 and it has 150% more grate area than the 18.5 and is only $100 more. "That is the one we want" I proclaim. My Dad and brother aren't convinced that the bigger one is the right call but by then I already have it in the cart. We add a Weber chimney, some gloves, a couple of spatulas , and click buy.

Everything but the WSM arrived on Tuesday and the WSM 22.5 arrived yesterday. I started doing research for books and web sites and here I am. Which is a very long way of saying:

Hello All, I'm the new guy here. :)

BTW, it would probably make some people go crazy but we have to wait until Friday afternoon to open everything up so we can do it together. We're smoking for the 1st time ever this weekend and are noobs. (going straight to boston butts)

Great site here. I have been lurking/reading all week. ;)

You will not regret getting the bigger one, I know I didn't. You guys are in for some great food! Enjoy yourselves and best of luck!

You will not regret getting the bigger one, I know I didn't. You guys are in for some great food! Enjoy yourselves and best of luck!

Once I found out about the 22.5 I personally never considered the 18.5 as an option. Years ago I had a 22.5 kettle for a couple of years due to condo restrictions so I was familar with that diameter. Then I got on the condo board, changed the rules, and got a Genesis stainless that I still own all these years later. :)

Welcome Carl! Spent my sophomore year in Memphis…Hillcrest High School. Lived in Dove Creek Townhouses, right around the corner from Graceland....

You're gonna love it here!

Back