Hello from Texas!!

Rich Matyiku

Just got my father's day present delivered last night. 14.5 WSM! Put it together last night and the lid was "out of round" but thanks to some info around here I was able to get it bent into shape pretty easily. Since moving to Texas 7 years ago I have fallen in love with good BBQ and am looking forward to making my own. So are there any easier meats to start with when it comes to smoking? I am really looking forward to ribs but I don't want to start there if that is not the best route to go. Thanks guys!

Rich

Welcome to the forum and congrats on a great Fathers Day present. You should start with a few cooks of things like chicken to season that WSM. From there, cook whatever you want and enjoy. Take notes so if there is something you don't like, you can figure things out easier. Good Luck.

Welcome to the forum Rich. I agree with Bob. Starting out with a few chicken cooks is both a great way to seasonit as well as learning the nuances of your smoker on lower ticket and relatively forgiving items.

And by the way, I think my second cook was 2 pork butts and a brisket (full packer) and it went great. Of course, I did install the gasket kit at that point so sealing was not a real issue for me. The key is, whatever you are comfortable with.

Welcome to the forum Rich, if you contact Weber they will send you a new lid

Would you recommend this? I did damage the paint bit in a spot but it seems to be sitting fine now. Do you know if they will still replace if I attempt to a few cooks first to see if there is a serious issue? Thanks!

Welcome to the forum! And yes contact Weber, they are really great about things like this! their customer service rocks!

Back