Hello from Simpsonville, SC

Kevin Glenn

TVWBB Member
Just wanted to say hello to the forum. I am thankful for the valuable information on this site and forum.

I started smoking a few years ago on a used 22.5 kettle that i bought used for $25. I set it up using a foil tray in the center of the lower charcoal rack with charcoal and wood on each side. I used a cheap metal loaf pan on the top rack as a water pan. Worked great but you had to add new coals every hour to manage the temp and fuel load. I smoked boston butts, ribs, and butterfly chicken on the kettle smoker.

My wife got me a 22.5 WSM for my birthday. I have ran it the last two weekends in a row. The first run was with two beer can chickens on the lower rack and two butterflied chickens on the top rack. Total smoke time was 5 hours. My second run was with a 10 lb bone in butt and a 10 lb whole brisket. Total smoke time was 13 hours.

I am using a Maverick ET732 and a Taylor KTI1001 electronic thermometers.

The only problems I have had with the WSM is that I have found that the dome thermometer runs about 30 degrees low. Any suggestions about replacing it?

Have fun running the smoker and spending time with family and friends.

Kevin

Chicken looks really tasty! As far as the therm, as long as YOU know it's not accurate is what's important. If your Maverick has the dual probe then you can get a more accurate reading from the grate. My WSM's therm is almost dead on for some reason.

By the looks of those photos, you certainly know your way around the WSM, Kevin.
Your dome temp is 30 lower than your Mav or Taylor therms? Where are you temp'ing with those two units? At the dome also?

Welcome to the show!:wsm:

I first noticed the temperature difference yesterday when I used the Maverick for the first time. The grate temp was about 30 degrees hotter than dome. I put a Tel-Tru dial thermometer that I use on my kettle into one of the dome vent holes and the temp was only a three degree different that the Maverick grate reading. The factory dome temp is reading low.

Welcome aboard Kevin! My WSM also runs about 25 to 30 degrees lower than my grate temp.
But since I always temp at the grate, I just disregard what the dome says and cook away. I
use to worry about this, but as JimmyE says as long as you know its not accurate you are good to
go. Great photos too!

Back