Hello from Phoenix, AZ!

Matt Birmingham

Hello to everyone, and thanks for hosting a great forum!

I just finished unboxing and putting together my brand spanking new 22.5WSM. I've been grilling and running hard wood in my offset griller/smoker for years, but am new to true smoking; low and slow has not been my game up until now.

One quick question to anyone that might reply; I'm a huge fan of brats and have (nearly?) perfected them on my offset by cooking them far away from the fire but providing them lots of smoke via the offset. Is there a good recipe/instruction for brats here that I can look at? I usually beer boil them prior to cooking, so they don't need a ton of time on the fire. I'm interested if I can one-up my old recipe.

Another question: where do people put their lids while working on the food? I'm paranoid of scratching the enamel on the bottom rim. Ideas?

Test image from a recent visit to Tombstone, AZ:
IMG_1585_zpscb9b3768.jpg

Welcome to the site Matt.

I never had to put my lid on floor since I have a helper (wife) that gets that for me while I add food or remove. I seen guys put on plywood or 2 pieces of 2 by 4.

We all do our brats differently. Go to search option and type in brats. Maybe you see something you like.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

http://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?82-New-WSM-Owners

Welcome to the forum Matt. I don't think there is a bad way to cook brats on the WSM.I would say try them as close the the same way as you have been on your offset and go from there.

Thanks everybody! I set it up last night and am prepping for an initial small burn tonight to get the packing material burnt off cleanly. Maybe I should throw some chicken in? I mean, c'mon; fire!

Back