Hello From Palm Desert

Rob C

TVWBB Member
Hello everyone... I am Rob from the Palm Desert area (near Palm Springs) in CA. I have been lurking here for a while and last week decided to introduce myself. After typing my post twice and then hitting the “back” button, I got too irritated to continue.

Thought I would give it a go again today, so here I am. I have a wife and two kids, daughter of 5 and a son of nearly 3. I am almost 32 and have been with my wife since we were 16. Growing up we had a lot of steak, lamb, kabobs, burgers, and dogs on the BBQ. One year my dad picked up an old brinkman smoker and started doing our holiday turkeys with that (Still using it up at the cabin). I started borrowing it to expand on the food I was cooking on the cheap gas grill I had for about ten years. As time went on I acquired a gas smoker (no longer available from Lowe's but I think it was a great deal in hindsight), a Jenn-Air 3 burner (after my Sunbeam died and doing some research on used grills), and near the end of 2011 a clearance 22.5” Weber for $24 at Target.

I didnt use the Weber until about September of 2012. Yeah, I got some accessories for it like the chiney, hinged grate, and a charcoal container. But I just didn't use it.

Holy smokes was I missing out. The wife will no longer allow steak, Tri Tip, bone-in chicken, or burgers on gas anymore. I love the heat control for searing with charcoal (and I like these charcoal baskets a lot too). We had one when I was really young, but when my dad built his outdoor kitchen he went all gas. So I just kept on using what myself and what seemed like everyone else did. (here its almost impossible to buy a house without a built in gas grill already installed it seems). I am having a lot of fun with the Weber experimenting and trying new methods. Much better then the brinkman up at the cabin. I realize now, regardless of all my modifications, that I just need to get a WSM up there.

Anyhow, I do a lot of Tri Tip, fillets, pulled pork, ribs, pork... Well... We cook just about anything we can outdoors. I made some great ABTs last week with some advice I found on here as well.

So, hello, and thanks in advance!

I meant to add some photos... So here are some pics of my cooking area, and some food I cooked.

My cooking area
8626542254_fd6e42aa77_c.jpg

Some ribs and ABTs I made recently.
8604616614_910671fba3_c.jpg

With Coleslaw
8625439327_cff155d9b1_c.jpg

My New Year's Dinner (My wife sings professionally so I didn't see her until just after midnight)
8603517191_125298ca9f_c.jpg

The NYE fillet
8604617738_2fe2d1fa50_c.jpg

Thanksgiving...
8625437435_04407dd893_c.jpg

Had company... Chicken, potatoes, corn...
8604617210_ce83b08108_c.jpg

Pork Tenderloin
8604616022_67b34ffa0c_c.jpg

Hey what I am doing wrong here. When I right click and open in new windows I can see the photos....

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. I think you will fit in just fine. Nice pics... I have been with my wife since I was 17 and she was 15. Been married for 17 yrs.

Back