Hello from NW Ohio!

James V in Ohio

Hello everyone! James here from the Toledo, Ohio area. Excited to get started on my new WSM 14.5 smoker. Owner of a Weber Spirit gas grill (10 years and going strong, looking as new as it did when we got it as a wedding present), a Smokey Joe 14” grill for tailgating, and now the WSM 14.5 smoker. Previous smoking experience was years ago on a Masterbuilt electric smoker - ok, but never fun. Feeding chips every 15 minute was terrible. It lasted about 2 years and then gave up (heating element went out). After that, this website and forum helped me make my decision for what will hopefully be a lifetime of smoking.

Thanks so much for all of the tips, recipes, and what seems like a very supportive community on this forum. I‘ve been trying to think of what to smoke first, and I have a brisket in the freezer. Not sure if I want to tackle that right off - we’ll see. I’ll update this weekend when I get it fired up.

Thanks all. So far, I've smoked a brisket tip (fine, just a little dry - got it with our ¼ steer a year ago, so better than doing nothing at all), a pork roast (fantastic - really moist) and a whole chicken using the beer can method (also amazing and really good.) The Weber 14.5 held the temps the entire time, including during a pretty challenging wind advisory. Really impressed. Found out quickly that you do not have to use a lot of wood to get a smoke with this smoker.

Pictures of what I smoked below. Thanks again to all on here for advice and suggestions.

Hoping to find a pork butt somewhere in time for WSM Smoke Day on May 23. Have some pork ribs that I will be doing, but thought I would add a pork butt to that to make it complete.

IMG_5550.jpegIMG_5553.jpeg
IMG_5542.jpeg

Nice work!! The chicken looks great! Brisket flats are a challenge but there are some great folks here who can help you do all that you want! I’ve got an 18” and a 14” and they’re both fun and do a great job!!! Looking forward to seeing more from you!

Back