Hello from Los Angeles

2rgoso9.jpg

2hp5buw.jpg

35hn3tg.jpg

105e7gm.jpg

vr7vcj.jpg

Smoke an 8lb pork butt this weekend.

I had lots of dips and peaks this cook but always stayed in between 250-275. I wanted to stay in the 250 range but I ran out of water and was just battling the pit for the better part of the cook. It ran much longer than other cooks but I'm still trying to learn how it reacts. Temps would jump to 260+, I'd go adjust, (I guess too much) and it would slowly go down to 245+, so I'd have to go readjust. Getting up every hour or so to adjust really got me wanting a IQ110. lol I think I need to stop trying to get temps in the exact range I'm looking for.

Thought on cook, very moist but i wish it has more bark and smoke ring. I also tried to do less rub this time but I really should of used more.

enjoy the pics!

Rookie still learning here. sigh.

Looks good, Johnny.

You'll see more stable temperatures as you get more WSM cooks under your belt and more 'gunk' built up inside the WSM.

BBQ takes Patience ! Make a small adjustment then walk away...

Thanks Bob.

I certainly hope so. I didn't have this much fluctuation on the last cook, but I think the pit is more stable at 275, than at lower 250 currently.

Any thoughts on smoking a tri tip on her? I've read on another site, that it will just not come out right on a smoker....? Can't I just smoke it and throw some char on with my gas grill?

I want to get a few more cooks under my belt before I give brisket a try; already done chicken, ribs, sausage, and pork butt.

Tri Tip works great on the WSM. Cook at 275 (or so) till 120 internal temp, then sear over coals on kettle. Could also do the sear over the WSM bottom section if you temporarily place a cooking grill over it.

If you get some (or already have some) Coastal Red Oak, you'll be golden.

BTW, during our last CBBQA BBQ101 class, we cooked the tri tip per above. Oh... it was on a 18" WSM with leaks galore. Worked just fine.

Tri Tip works great on the WSM. Cook at 275 (or so) till 120 internal temp, then sear over coals on kettle. Could also do the sear over the WSM bottom section if you temporarily place a cooking grill over it.

If you get some (or already have some) Coastal Red Oak, you'll be golden.

BTW, during our last CBBQA BBQ101 class, we cooked the tri tip per above. Oh... it was on a 18" WSM with leaks galore. Worked just fine.

Sweet!!! Thanks for the temp guide. Was readings LOTS of peeps saying to pull @ 135-140; I'll try 120*. :cheers:

You mean, Live Coastal Oak? ; ) Yes, I certainly do! :)

So, do tell, these CBBQA BBQ101 class, only for members, or can anyone join a class?

That 120 will become close to 130 by the time you finish the reverse sear.

While other woods are delicious, only Coastal Red Oak (aka Live Coastal Oak) will add that Santa Maria flare we so enjoy.

Member and Non-Members alike. California BBQ Institute (The educational arm of CBBQA)

That 120 will become close to 130 by the time you finish the reverse sear.

While other woods are delicious, only Coastal Red Oak (aka Live Coastal Oak) will add that Santa Maria flare we so enjoy.

Member and Non-Members alike. California BBQ Institute (The educational arm of CBBQA)

Good stuff, I'm def going to check it out. :cheers:

Back