Hello from Joseph K in Irvine, CA

Joseph K

TVWBB Member
Hi Everyone,

This is Joseph K from Irvine, CA. I hope everyone is safe and healthy during this strange situation we are in. :)😷

I am a meat lover but a newbie to grilling/smoking.
Recently, over memorial day weekend, I bought a Weber Master-touch.
I tried slow and sear rib eye. TWICE.
The first time was better. The second time, I brined for a day and it turned out so salty that I had to dispose 🗑 5 Costco prime rib eye steaks into the trash can. :cry:
One of the famous Youtube videos was telling, "be generous with salt" but I learned that cannot be too generous. :unsure:
The next time I was preparing to cook, my 14 year old son was telling me "Dad, please be easy on salt, ok?" 😅 He was the only one who was willing to go far to about half of the steak. After joining the table, taking one bite of my steak, I told everyone to stop!!!
I cooked marinated short ribs twice as well and they turned out to be fine. For these short ribs, I did over very hot fire searing. The cook time was short.
I learned that I have a lot to learn. At least I learned that. Hoping to learn from everyone in this forum and maybe one day, I can share what I learned.
I own 22" Weber Master-touch :blackkettle:, 14" Weber Smokey Joe :smokeyjoe: (I bought this after the Master-touch. 😆. Yet to try though...)
But, after reading some of articles here this week, I kind of regret not buying Weber 26" kettle or Weber Smokey Mountain. Maybe, my next projects after attaining good handle on my Master-touch and Smokey Joe.
My first goal is to learn how to handle fire and kettle to cook slow and/or smoke. (Oh, BTW, I failed BBQ ribs over July 4th... It turned out to be so dry and not done inside. I cooked for 5 hours. In between the temperature went down to 150F and I had to bring it up back to 250F though. 🤣) So, whatever it takes long to cook, I think I have a high chance of failing. Has to be handling fire and temperature and keeping moist inside of the kettle.

I am happy that I found this forum and appreciate accepting me as a member. I am looking forward to getting to know you all. 👍

Joseph - welcome to the forum. Lot's of great advice to be found here. I just posted some stuff about dry brining and grilling steaks. See if you can find it. When I dry brine, I put about the same amount of salt on that I would for "normal seasoning" and then apply just a little bit more (less than half as much) when I pull out of the fridge. Also, I find that using course kosher salt makes it a bit easier to work with vs course sea salt or finer grades of kosher.

I recommend looking up some info on the "snake" or "fuse" method for your next slow cooking try. I've used these methods before and they really make maintaining low and steady temperatures in a kettle a lot easier.

Welcome to the forum, used to be a neighbor, we lived in Lake Forest near Trabuco and Lake Forest drive for 23 years.
If you have question please ask, there is literally a world of knowledge on here and everyone is quite willing to share their experience's.
My wife Barb have been members for seven years and have learned so much from the sharing of knowledge from other forum members.
Most of all have fun and if you don't screw up a few cooks you're not trying hard enough.

Hi Joseph, WELCOME!!!!!

I am sure you are going to love it here. As you can see so far, they are free with their help. I don't know a thing about grills, but if you need a recipe for anything, I am here to help with that. Love your use of the smilies. lol ;) :cool::giggle:

Hi John, Rich, and Joan,
Really appreciate kind words!!

John, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I read coarse Kosher salt works better. I used generous (REALLY and LITERALLY) amount of sea salt. 😫 Will never again. I think, normal seasoning is the right words. Snaking is something I have not tried. I am afraid of coal's foul smell getting into food though. Is there a way to get around that? And also, I realized the quality of charcoal matters a lot. I find Kingsfold's original leaves pure gray colored ash whereas other brands leave more towards blackish ash after burn. I am thinking that might be a clue to the foul smell? I am wondering... But, will study a bit more on charcoal and will definitely try snaking. I am not aware of fuse method if it is different from snaking.

Rich, I have been living in Irvine ever since 2001 (relocated for 5 years to SF Bay area but came back) and very nice to hear that you are from Lake Forest. Used to play golf at Lake Forest golf course. I go to Raising Canes chicken strips place in Lake Forest quite often. Please give my regards to Barb. I need to reel in my wife to this forum one day. 😁

Joan, I may use your master-touch on bbq ribs seasoning. 😁

Thanks again for your greetings!!

Keep an eye on my "BBQ/Grilling Cookbook" thread. I am using Raichlens book "Barbecue Bible Sauces, Rubs and Marinades" this week.

Hi John, Rich, and Joan,
Really appreciate kind words!!

John, thanks for the tip. Yeah, I read coarse Kosher salt works better. I used generous (REALLY and LITERALLY) amount of sea salt. 😫 Will never again. I think, normal seasoning is the right words. Snaking is something I have not tried. I am afraid of coal's foul smell getting into food though. Is there a way to get around that? And also, I realized the quality of charcoal matters a lot. I find Kingsfold's original leaves pure gray colored ash whereas other brands leave more towards blackish ash after burn. I am thinking that might be a clue to the foul smell? I am wondering... But, will study a bit more on charcoal and will definitely try snaking. I am not aware of fuse method if it is different from snaking.

Rich, I have been living in Irvine ever since 2001 (relocated for 5 years to SF Bay area but came back) and very nice to hear that you are from Lake Forest. Used to play golf at Lake Forest golf course. I go to Raising Canes chicken strips place in Lake Forest quite often. Please give my regards to Barb. I need to reel in my wife to this forum one day. 😁

Joan, I may use your master-touch on bbq ribs seasoning. 😁

Thanks again for your greetings!!
Welcome, I have been on the forum for 6 months and can not believe how much I have learned. For your question about charcoal and smell/black smoke. Yeah you are already on it, quality does matter. I like briquettes, but I only using higher quality briquettes that have only char wood and nature binders. Make sure not to use anything with lighter fluid in it, the "quick light" stuff. Another option that many people like is lump charcoal. No binders or fillers at all, but burns hotter, faster and sometimes inconsistent because of the different size pieces. I have a master touch also, it is my daily driver gets use at least 5 times a week if not daily. I love it.

Hi Michael, thanks for the input. which brand do you use? and where do you get them?
Chris had a video on charcoals and kind of concluded that Kingsford original is the one for him and I tend to agree... Thinking of price/efficiency/smell, nothing beats Kingsford blue :kingsford:in my rather short bbq experience. 😝 I tried other brands from Lowes/Home depot thinking I was saving money but I regretted humbly and went back and bought Kingsford blue right back.
Lump charcoal is something I struggle... I understand they are good but some pieces (in fact quite a lot of them) are so small that they fall right through the charcoal basket. Can someone tell me the definition of "Lump" here? I thought lump was somewhat big in size... What is a good brand of lump charcoal which I can trust to have majority in real bigger pieces? 🤔
Any how, thanks for your greetings and look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Joseph,
I don't think you can go wrong with KBB. I started with KBB and then moved to Weber Briquettes which I have been paying $15 for a 20 lb bag, which I lOVE. I am starting to have a hard time find it so I got a 40 lb bag of Royal Oak Chefs Select at my local BBQ store last week for $23. I will keep looking for Weber Briquettes, but if I can't find them I will keep using Royal Oak Chefs Select. I am going to do some ribs on the WSM with the ROCS on Wednesday so I will report back on how that goes. I have been using in on my Master Touch and it burns Really clean and nice. There are pricier options that I bet are great, but those are out of my league.
As for lump a lot of people lot Royal Oaks original, but there are a lot of options out there. Some companies pieces are bigger then other options out there. Everyone here will have an opinion on the charcoal that should be used. If you search the topic here in the forum you will find out some much information. Again welcome and I will let you know how the ribs go.
Michael

I agree with Michael - KBB is good, and Weber might be a little better. I think KBB was really an inferior briquette for a period of time but I believe they changed their formula a few years ago. I burned my first bag of KBB in several years this weekend (smoked and grilled with it) and the smoke from the briquettes smelled grate, and I had no off-putting flavors on my food. Also watched America's test kitchen brisket video last night where they used KBB and the snake method to cook a whole brisket "hot & fast". If KBB is good enough for America's test kitchen, it should be good enough for most of us.

Also, if you want to try the snake method, briquettes are a must-have. Lump won't work for snake method unless you have some extra hardware to keep the lump arranged in a line and overlapping properly. Even if you had that, lump's rate of ignition is a lot more random due to the odd shaped pieces which will lead to a lot more variation in temperature vs the briquette snake. There are plenty of youtube videos about the snake method, most of them are spot on.

I used the Royal Oak Chefs Select today for a longer cook in the WSM. I think it is the cleanest burning charcoal I've used. If I could keep finding Weber I would for longer cooks, but in the Master Touch I like using the ROCS. Here is a more detailed account of my experience with the different charcoal.
Now back to ROCS some over at Weber Kettle Club think ROCS is the same formula as RO natural that you can get at most Walmart. I have not tried the RO natural yet...

Back