Hello from Istanbul

Taner ILASLAN

Hello everyone. My name is Taner and I live in Istanbul/Turkiye. I own a Spirit E-320. It have been around 8 years using it. I came across with the tvwbb while I was searching to find a solution for my bbq’s rusting problem. I have read some threads already about restoration and diy which I found valuable information. Thanks to all.

I have a big rusting problem on the main frame especially at the bottom part and as well as side frames which the paint started bubbling. I looked for replacement parts and found that the cost won’t be logical so I decided to disassemble the lower base initially and repaint it after sanding. Besides my son opened the side burner a couple years before while the lid was closed so the SS lid blackened. I think I need to replace it if I can find the replacement part cause I don’t have any idea else. I know that saying is easier than doing so I appreciate any help about my renovation project. IMG_5043.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5037.jpeg
    IMG_5037.jpeg
    165.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5040.jpeg
    IMG_5040.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 6
Hello everyone. My name is Taner and I live in Istanbul/Turkiye. I own a Spirit E-320. It have been around 8 years using it. I came across with the tvwbb while I was searching to find a solution for my bbq’s rusting problem. I have read some threads already about restoration and diy which I found valuable information. Thanks to all.

I have a big rusting problem on the main frame especially at the bottom part and as well as side frames which the paint started bubbling. I looked for replacement parts and found that the cost won’t be logical so I decided to disassemble the lower base initially and repaint it after sanding. Besides my son opened the side burner a couple years before while the lid was closed so the SS lid blackened. I think I need to replace it if I can find the replacement part cause I don’t have any idea else. I know that saying is easier than doing so I appreciate any help about my renovation project. View attachment 80767
Welcome Taner,

Your grill still has plenty of life left.

The surface rust can be treated by sealing the rust or sanding the rust off.

First clean the grill cabinet.

There are products that paint or spray on the seal or encapsulate the rust. See picture below. I don’t know what products are offered local to you. Once you seal the rust paint with Massey Ferguson gray or the color of your choice.

To remove the rust use a wire brush or flap disk. Lightly sand around the area with the rust so the paint bonds. Paint with primer. The color is Massey Ferguson Gray.

For the burner cover try to scrub with Steel wool grade 0000. It will not completely clean up but it should look better. Weber doesn’t cover discoloration usually but you can ask Weber customer service.

Let us know how you fix your grill…

B451D135-7A51-416A-AE91-49FF1A1BB33F.png

You can save the grill but as stated you have to grind away all the rust and bubbles quickly before getting any worse and treat it with what's mentioned or even something like Rustoleum Rust converter. Don't wait. Rust never sleeps. The problem on your grill is that the weight of the grill on the base makes water pool on it. You will have to take the base off to treat it and then keep water off of it.

Back